Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
149 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 147

humanpotatohybrid, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 »

Re: temperature problem?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
HH56, I'm just curious, which Packard models have you seen that have the fan several inches from the core?

Posted on: 2015/3/18 16:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
My 47 was approx 2 1/8" from front of blade to the core with the regular pulley. I believe dimensions in that general range was common on several of the Clipper style body designs.

Maybe they designed extra distance with the fan driven AC in mind, With the AC pulley and a 3/8" spacer between blade and pulley that is needed for AC belt clearance at rear of fan blade, the blade to core distance is just over 1". I believe a smaller distance is more typical of the later models.

I'm not sure how applicable to Packard but several sites mention distance as a big factor in development of turbulence and reduced air flow thru the radiator. The relatively small fan in conjunction with tall radiators also seems like it would benefit from a shroud.

Posted on: 2015/3/18 17:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks Howard, I must say I'm a bit flabbergasted!

Can't say I've looked that closely at a 2103 or 2106, but my 2206 was less than 1 inch, as was every other Packard where I bothered to look closely or take a measurement.

Posted on: 2015/3/18 17:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
Howard. I've had the mechanical gauge in the hose for a while to do a comparison with the factory gauge and to keep tabs on the temp as I make/made adjustments. IIRC, 180 degrees on the mechanical is about 1/2 way or just past, on my factory gauge. I will keep it there as a reference until I'm satisfied that when I come off the highway, and get stuck in traffic, or just plain caught in stop and go traffic, that my temp will not climb to over 200 degrees. I did the paper test before putting the car away for the winter. It barely sucked in in to the grill from about 6 -8" away at idle. I'm hoping that the shroud will make a big difference in how fast and how far away from the grill it will suck the sheet of paper in. Between the shroud, going through the timing again, checking the float level and re-doing the needle settings in the carb, and using Allied Chemicals(this is not a plug, but recommended by su8overdrive) flush, using water as my coolant with their additive, I hope to have it running better than it has in the past. Boy.... that was a really long winded sentence...

Posted on: 2015/3/18 19:20
If it won't move, get a bigger wrench.
If it breaks, it needed fixing anyway.

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning Deluxe Canuck...

Wow, you have manufactured a great shroud, I'm impressed. If you want to make a second one, you can name your price. At least you will recover your actual costs and make some money for the time you spent. I can send you a check or a wire transfer.

If you don't wish to make one, the dimensions and the material thickness would be appreciated. Ernie Vitucci, the caretaker of 'Miss Prudence'

Posted on: 2015/3/19 10:40
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
Ernie. Thanks for the compliment. I have fabricated a lot of different things over the years. I guess the best one was the hydraulically powered flight simulator for my kids years ago. It was rudimentary compared to what was available if you had money, but my kids loved it. I have sent you a PM.

Posted on: 2015/3/19 18:33

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
Howard,

Mark (DeluxCanuck) sent me a link to this thread where he added a fan shroud to his Packard (nice work BTW).

Anyhoo, poking around the pictures I came upon a picture of your engine compartment. What is that bracket system you have added to the left side of the engine? It looks strong, complicated, and...exactly what I need.

Bill

Posted on: 2015/4/7 12:44
Bill,

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Bill, If you mean this, it is my attempt to make a mount for the AC compressor. Didn't have any info on how Packard mounted their prewar Clipper compressor on the left side and whether they kept or moved the oil filter and vent tube for the 356 engine. I decided to accommodate both in the same general area by slightly relocating the filter and making an identical looking vent tube with shorter legs.

I can't weld worth a crap so needed to do it with bolts. Used the existing studs originally for the oil filter that are on the 356 block as one mount point and the bolts for the thermostat housing for another. Not sure your engine has the studs or holes for the filter in the same place. Made the necessary bar spacer like piece to bolt over the studs and keep those as is. A vertical plate bolts to the spacer bar and everything attaches to that plate.

Removing the AC bracket to access the thermostat has been a pain on all Packard factory AC installs so I made mine with an extra piece and spacer to allow the thermostat to remove without touching the AC bracket. That is what you see in the other photo. Also took advantage of the opportunity to add a piece for an additional thermostat sensor. The front diagonal brace uses the generator adjust strap bolt as the attachment point and the rear brace just ties to the new vertical support plate.

The prewar AC compressor was driven by an extra groove on the fan pulley. I bought one of those pulleys when they were repro'd many years ago. Not being able to find a shorter length D size belt to fit that groove also dictated the location to a great extent. Ideally, the compressor and bracket would be lower and the filter higher but that brought the compressor too close to adjust the belt.

It may be overkill and if welded could probably be a bit less dramatic but I always go for the complicated and try to keep any mods so they can be easily reversed. Not sure a PS pump would need to be this elaborate.

Attach file:

jpg  (110.86 KB)
209_552427237a74a.jpg 1280X1158 px

Posted on: 2015/4/7 13:36
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
Nice fab job Howard!

Posted on: 2015/4/7 15:44

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
Nice work Howard!!!

The previous picture did not show what the bracket was used for.

We are not going with AC however that same type of bracket I am looking at building.

With respect to welding..."A grinder and paint make a welder what he aint"...is my motto.

I am looking at 1955 Chrysler PS pump and 6V generator combo unit as a more elegant solution to the problem. I would need a new pulley to accommodate the Class D belt.

This is what it looks like before it goes in for a spa treatment.

Attach file:

jpg  (27.97 KB)
84982_5525ba76c951c.jpg 448X336 px

Posted on: 2015/4/8 18:29
Bill,

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved