Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
105 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 104

DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 9 »

Re: postwar Coachbuilt Packards
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Maybe I misjudged the interest in this topic; I'll post a couple of pictures and see if it revives. First is a 5413-5450 by Derham owned at the time by George Hamlin. It was a left-over 1953 Henney limousine updated to 1954 and then given the Derham treatment. Picture courtesy of PAC's The Packard Cormorant.

Second is also by Derham, but much more of a coachbuilt car, one of two 47 Custom Super Clipper convertible sedans.

Attach file:

jpg  (116.75 KB)
177_490ca0c15d06d.jpg 1280X724 px

jpg  (134.99 KB)
177_490ca0d22d829.jpg 1280X855 px

Posted on: 2008/11/1 13:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Pushbutton -

I think Owen is referring to a Derham job.

I first saw a pic of the '56 Patrician Derham formal, back in the 1970s, on the AQ poster, Packard: The Postwar Years. I believe that same image is shown in a color plate in the Kimes book.

Posted on: 2008/11/2 10:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Speaking of postwar coachbuilders, while I know that Rollson didn't build any cars after WWII, I just found an auction notice about their complete facility being auctioned off in Plainview New York on October 15-16. Is Rollson now defunct?

http://www.kosterindustries.com/documents/8090666_FINAL.pdf

Posted on: 2008/11/3 11:02
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Boy, that sure sounds like they're going belly-up. I can only hope the donate their custom car body records to the Gilmore Museum, or the CCCA or some other organization, it would truly be a shame to see those records just fade away.

Posted on: 2008/11/3 11:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Owen: I was going through the Kimes book today and came across another coachbuilt Packard by Derham. One page 539 a Packard Super Eight all weather custom. Another one on the same page Super Eight four door convertible by Worblaufen of West Germany.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/11/8 20:24
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Gusha: Looks like you have found a mistake in the Packard book by Kimes. I guess it would be kind of late to write her and notify her of the mistake, since she has passed away.

When I posted that information I was kind of wondering what firm would have had the resources in Germany to produce a custom bodied Packard so soon after WWII.

There was another great coach building firm in Switzerland by the name of Graeber. I hope that is the right spelling. I know that they did some custom coach on RR chassis. Could you please give me some history on this firm.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/11/9 19:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Funny you should mention George Hamlin, he walked into my place of work yesterday, we had a little Packard chat amid the Chryslers.

Posted on: 2008/11/9 23:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Quote:

There was another great coach building firm in Switzerland by the name of Graeber. I hope that is the right spelling. I know that they did some custom coach on RR chassis. Could you please give me some history on this firm.
John F. Shireman

Here is a link to a recently found 1938 Packard with a Graber body on it, which looks almost exactly like a Graber-bodied Duesenberg owned by Sam Mann.
http://forums.aaca.org/ubbthreads.php/topics/550364/Barn_Find_in_Switzerland#Post550364

Posted on: 2008/11/10 8:28
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just a suggestion, how about sticking to the original subject of the postwar coachbuilt and semi-customs, and if you want to start another thread on prewar coachbuilders and their products, that's fine with me and is a terrific topic.

Or have we just worn this topic out?

Posted on: 2008/11/10 14:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Owen: Stop lecturing me as to what and how I should post
information or ask questions.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/11/10 15:51
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 9 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved