Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
253 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 248

Phat Jonny, humanpotatohybrid, BigKev, TxGoat, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Oil Bath/Paper Air Filter conversion
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
I recently bought a 1954 Convertible.It has the correct factory Air filter but while working on the car, I noticed it was converted to a paper air filter.The one in there only goes about 1/2 way up so essentially it is useless.Has anyone out there ever done a conversion and if so, what paper filter did you use?

Posted on: 2015/5/12 7:47
 Top  Print   

Re: Oil Bath/Paper Air Filter conversion
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
GTO, maybe you will be able to find the correct oil bath internals? Though they do present an occasional maintenance chore it is a more efficient air filter than the paper elements so in the long run, probably better for engine life. If you had a simple oiled mesh rather than the oil bath, then I'd stick with the paper element as it's superior to the oiled mesh as used in the more junior models.

Posted on: 2015/5/12 8:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
Here is a thread from earlier this week on a paper element air filter. Let us know if it works on the 1954.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16061&forum=2

Posted on: 2015/5/12 15:15
Bill,

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Packard 1948, that conversion you referenced was an oiled mesh air filter, a very different and simplistic piece of equipment compared to the more sophisticated oil bath which is what GTO needs. Though the units are a bit different in 51/52 (illustrated below) in appearance, they function the same as the earlier units. The upper type simply uses a lightly oiled mesh to trap particulates. The oil bath type (lower image) has the mesh partially immersed in motor oil and forces the air to make several 180 degree turns before passing thru the media. The particulates, being heavier, can't negotiate the rapid turns and end up trapped in the oil. Hope this helps you understand the differences.

Attach file:

jpg  (132.12 KB)
177_55527ca862ddb.jpg 595X1000 px

Posted on: 2015/5/12 17:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Shields
See User information
GTO, congratulations on your recent acquisition. I admit I'm biased, but you've got a winner there! Fortunately, my original oil bath air cleaner assembly is intact and I'm keeping it that way. If I faced the situation that you're facing, I wouldn't go for a paper filter. I'd look at a K&N filter; they don't use paper, they use an oiled cotton material that's supposedly far superior to paper. Their filters are built to be washable and reusable so you won't need to replace it at a given interval. On their website, www.knfilters.com, you can search their product line by dimension. Once you determine the filter's outside diameter, inside diameter and height you can see what they offer. They manufacture in many sizes so they most likely would have one you could use.

Posted on: 2015/5/12 23:04
Don Shields
1933 Eight Model 1002 Seven Passenger Sedan
1954 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
>Packard 1948, that conversion you referenced was an oiled mesh air filter, a very different and simplistic piece of equipment compared to the more sophisticated oil bath which is what GTO needs.

Well...you learn something "old" every day...

Posted on: 2015/5/13 9:20
Bill,

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
GTO, here are some photos of when I installed a modern pleated paper filter element in the oil bath housing of my 47 Custom. I saved the original filter element in case I or a future owner wanted to restore the oil bath function. I don't recall the filter part number, but it is a common size.

(o{}o)

Attach file:

jpg  (33.75 KB)
565_555363df5c835.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (32.23 KB)
565_555363f124f5a.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (28.87 KB)
565_55536496a7415.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2015/5/13 9:49
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
JW, thanks for the tip. I just went up to the shop getting GTO's car ready for the highway and took it on a nice test drive - it's an outstanding car! Unfortunately the 54 senior air filter is very different from the one used on the 356 engine and won't come close to fitting. But we do have some measurements so GTO can go shopping for a paper element while he tries to find a correct oil bath unit.

1954 senior oil bath filter pictured for comparison the the earlier units.

Attach file:

jpg  (108.03 KB)
177_5553790744dc3.jpg 1280X849 px

jpg  (75.19 KB)
177_555386cb50f5f.jpg 1280X670 px

Posted on: 2015/5/13 11:17
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved