Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
232 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 229

humanpotatohybrid, moodydavid16, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Engine won't fire on '52
Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Hey guys!

I tried starting my car yesterday and I found I'm getting no spark. I replaced the coil today and still nothing, but there is power at the coil. What else do I need to go through, or where is the best place to start? This car has never had an issue firing up before.

Thanks in advance,

Garrett

Posted on: 2015/6/3 17:32
Garrett

1952 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan

" If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone"- Burt Munro
 Top  Print   

Re: Engine won't fire on '52
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Points - condenser - rotor - cap.

Posted on: 2015/6/3 17:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
That's what I've been figuring. This distributor looks so good though that it's hard to believe anything on it could be bad. She was running just a week and a half ago and since then we've had all kinds of rain!

Posted on: 2015/6/3 17:40
Garrett

" If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone"- Burt Munro
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Sometimes the points can get a coating over the surface from oil or moisture condensing or if the power was on a length of time with points closed, they can oxidize to the point of not conducting well.

Just for grins get a piece of rough heavy paper or very thin cardboard like a business card -- only it needs to be rough not smooth. Cut a narrow strip and with the dist positioned so points are closed, separate them with your finger so you can slide the paper between the contacts. Let them close again and pull the paper thru a couple of times to clean and polish the contact area.

May not help but won't cost you anything but a few minutes of your time to try.

Posted on: 2015/6/3 17:57
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Howard.... You are a gosh darn genius!!! That was the problem! Fired right up after that! Thank you very much sir!

Posted on: 2015/6/3 18:22
Garrett

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Howard to the rescue, again. Gear Rat, were you at Salado this year? If so, sorry I missed you. Hope all is well.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/6/3 21:44
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Hey JW!

Unfortunately I wasn't able to make it this go around. It came up really fast this year and before I knew it, it was over. The old '52 still wasn't ready this year, but hopefully in these next two years she will be ready for that trip! I hope all is well for you too!

Cheers,

Garrett

Posted on: 2015/6/4 23:07
Garrett

Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved