Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
204 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 201

kevinpackard, Tom (Packin31), BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Headlight -'parking lights- kicking circuit breaker
Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
Thanks to all for your imput. Since it looks like I will be hanging upside down to deal with the trouble shooting, I have blown up the three page wiring diagram to billboard size so that I can read it without a magnifying glass. The speedometer needs changed and I was able to locate a used unit through a friend in Tennessee. SO--- the current plan is to test the speedometer, get it lubed,and then begin my contortionist routine.
I have purchased a new circuit breaker which I will install on the original light switch and then begin by pulling and tagging the dash light sockets to remove the speedometer and check the sockets for frayed wires in the process. If I am able,to get the speedometer changed before deciding to sell the car or end up in rehab from twisting and hanging under the dash, I will reinstall the switch, check to see if the breaker still kicks and if it does, begin pulling individual plugs to the switch to try to isolate the cause of the problem.
To clarify as issue raised by Custom clipper, the wires on the Caribbean are not cloth covered. As the rep from Kamter asserts they are plastic coated. I considered securing and installing a new wiring harness when the car was disassembled and off frame, but despite the general deterioration of the fenders and quarters, the wiring was in singularly good shape,overall and after tracing and cleaning the wires it was decided to stick with the wires that came with the car rather than hoping that a replacement harness would be of equal quality. We did install NOS headlight buckets with new sockets and wires and replaced the tailight and license plate lights with resorted units.
I will keep you posted on my progress.
As an aside,,I am continuing to explore the possibility of following Leeedy's post on securing material for the top and having it dyed to match the interior to replicate the original top. I have been having difficulty in securing a bright white pinpoint nylon with a tan or white inner liner. Bill Hirsch was able to supply a sample with a tan backing but the color is not quite white enough. If anyone knows of a supplier who offers white/'white or white/ tan material please advise. I have found a supplier in California who assures that they can match any interior color with a spray or roll on dye and will provide the info as soon as I can have a test patch. At this point, I have been unable to find a major manufacturer of tops for the Packard who is willing to make up a top from the dyed material which may require finding an upholsterer who will tailor a top for the car. That promises to be an expensive venture for a car that I do not intend to show.....but it would be nice to have it done right
Keep me posted of any other suggestions on the lights. Or the tops.

Posted on: 2015/6/17 1:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
Well- problem resolved. I changed the circuit breaker on the switch as recommended. Problem continued ...and then I smelled smoke. Cut off power at the battery and discovered that the switch for the reading lamp in the rear quarter panel had shorted out. Pulled the switch and taped the wire and all is well with the headlights and parking lights.
I will have to buy a new switch somewhere but ....much easier trouble shooting than anticipated.
I think I will need to hire someone younger and thinner to replace the speedometer. If anyone wants to volunteer, give me a call.
Thanks for the suggestions.
RJR

Posted on: 2015/6/21 18:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
The speedo in my '55 Clipper was not as difficult to swap out as I had expected. Your Caribbean has full gauges and thus perhaps more wires to work around? My help would certainly be available but I am some distance from you.
After installation, a lengthy test period would of course be required :)

Posted on: 2015/6/21 19:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Glad you found the problem but that is most interesting the pillar switch being shorted would cause the problem.

According to schematics the convertible courtesy or reading light is only different from other V8 models inasmuch as the feed is off the tail light circuit instead of the body feed fuse as the sedan and hardtop reading or rear courtesy lights are. Like all Packard interior lights, it shows the bulb is powered directly and switch turns on the light by connecting the other side of bulb to ground. If the switch shorted it should have only kept the light on all the time and not caused the CB to trip. With the smoke coming from the switch and breaker tripping I would wonder if the wires got shorted somewhere -- perhaps at the socket -- and is the real reason for the problem.

Posted on: 2015/6/21 19:21
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
HH -The reading lamp in the convertible top was replaced with a new unit from Max. I could never get it to work and pulled the bulb as a project to be resolved another day. At the present, the lights switch no longer trips the circuit breaker and I have headlights and parking lights.
The top is down for reasons previously discussed and when I get a new top, I will have to see if there is anything else that needs attention.
If 64 Avanti wants to head to Reading a few days early....there is a free bed about 2 hours southwest of the gathering, a steak dinner or so and some cash for fuel. LOL
It will take me a while to get back under the dash. Hanging upside down is for kids.
RJR

Posted on: 2015/6/21 20:15
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved