Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
189 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 186

Ken_P, Aiden, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Front Suspension removal from bare frame?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

50packardkid
See User information
I was in that position as well, had to load down the front with sand bags and put stands along the frame just in case she fell. Becarful with using the jack if the frame is not high enough the spring will come down and pin the jack to the floor.

Also if you try to get it out by lowering and pulling or hammering the spring out that is a bad idea, saw one shoot out at an angle and go through the garage wall, so don't stand in front of it.

Hope it helps, be careful.

Posted on: 2013/2/3 8:23
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

54packman1
See User information
if you notice the frist picture there is no axle ends, i made up block off plates for the ends of the axle ends, to do two things, be able to lift the axle, and block off the holes, the vent in the top is plugged as well, and no 1200 lbs is not a typo, i blow about 600 lbs a day, my hopper holds about 150 lbs of sand, and i use a diesel air compressor 210cfm at 120lbs pressure out, and about 90 lbs pressure at the tip with a 1/4 inch nozzel, engine cases and transmissions i dont use sand to blast, soda or walnut shells

Posted on: 2013/2/3 12:09
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

David Childs
See User information
I did this years ago, and bought a spring compressor from a
Harbot Freight type of place. Maybe even NAPA. But be careful placing the compressor around the spring. You have to attach, screw down, readjust, screw down again, and repeat until the compressor arms are all touching a section of the spring on both top and bottom.

Posted on: 2013/2/27 14:24
Love Packards
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
A friend who is a welder and restores VWs showed me recently how he torch cleans frames and suspension components. He sets up his oxy/acetylene cutting torch to a low blend, and heats up the grease and dirt a bit, then blasts it by triggering the oxy valve. It makes all the old stuff loose enough to quickly remove with a wire brush, and the end result is amazing. Quick too!

Just be sure you don't have any fuel or brake lines in the area. No wiring either, but, of course, if you were about to sand blast you wouldn't want lines or wiring there either.

Posted on: 2013/2/27 18:56
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

54packman1
See User information
problem with the packard is the front springs sit up in a pocket so far, and there is no room to get a spring compressor on the outside, to unload them enough. and internal type may work

Posted on: 2013/2/28 12:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

longjohn
See User information
I was able to put the front springs on my '54 back in using 2' long, 1/2" threaded rod. You can buy it at Home Depot for a few dollars. Get a couple of large, heavy duty washers for each end. Run the threaded rod through the mounting holes and the center of the spring, use a couple of washers and a nut on each end and tighten them down, compressing the spring.

Posted on: 2013/3/13 18:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Richter12x2
See User information
Getting them off isn't so bad, but I recommend using a ratchet strap through the inside and outside of the spring, so that if it rapidly unloads, it can't go far. I too have shot a strut tower cap into the drywall when there was more spring tension than I had planned for.

Posted on: 2015/7/6 11:29
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved