Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
207 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 207

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

51 generator rebuild
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Craig Fox
See User information
It took awhile but I found that the generator is not charging. There is a local shop here in Grass Valley Calif. that say they can rebuild it, or should I farm it out to Packard supplier. I have not gotten a price yet. Maybe this is a good time to think about converting to a 12 volt alternator? There is a new voltage regulator on the firewall. If it was 12 volt neg ground could I install electric ignition? What are the pro, and con of this path?

Posted on: 2015/8/5 19:19
 Top  Print   

Re: 51 generator rebuild
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you have a good local shop, there is nothing special about the 51 generator. Several makes used essentially the same item so if the shop says they are familiar with the unit and can do it then I wouldn't hesitate.

If the car is running well on 6v now I wouldn't see a need for a change to 12v unless you want to add AC or a powerful radio.

If you do make the change it is not as simple as just changing the generator and regulator. You need to think about voltage reduction to the stock radio and heater(s) as well as changing all the bulbs and also some changes with the OD if you have one.

The starter solenoid needs to change and while there have been those using the stock 6v starter on 12v, there have been several recent reports of the castings being cracked on starters being used that way. The 12v increases the speed and torque in the starter sufficiently that it slams the pinion into the end with such force the nose breaks off. Because of that possibility I would strongly suggest also having the starter converted for 12v operation. All the changes add up money wise so just a few things to think about.

Posted on: 2015/8/5 19:38
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
This might turn into a little rant.....

I drive a 54 Clipper at least 3-4 days a week. It goes to the store, to the airport to pick up friends, takes me out to dinner and drives me home in the dark. It drives on the back country roads of Maryland and around the Baltimore and DC beltways. It starts easily, and if it passed into the hands of someone else, they could service it according the service manual and even according to ancient NAPA parts books. On cold mornings I do not turn the key with fear in my heart.

This is only because the electrical system has had normal maintenance. The new battery cables and starter solenoid did wonders for it at a total cost of $78.

I watch this forum extensively and wonder at the complex approach many take in the hopes of adding reliability. Complexity is a furious and implacable enemy of reliability, especially when an item is seldom used, as most of these cars are. It is far cheaper for you, and easier on the next owner if the car is merely brought to a standard condition.

In this particular case, I have less trouble with generators than I do with "factory" rebuilt alternators.

Final rant: When my heat pump on the house started to go downhill, I had it serviced. I did not go to the panel and rewire it from 220 to 440 volts in hopes of satisfactory performance.

Posted on: 2015/8/5 20:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Adding emphasis to Ross' comments, I couldn't agree more.

Posted on: 2015/8/6 10:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
your generator is pretty simple, so any decent shop can go through it for you. bearings/bushings as needed, brushes, turn and cut the commutator, paint. done.

the 12v question will bring out the long knives, as you've noticed by now. Pros of 12v: you can install reliable electronic ignition, if you don't ever want to check your points and condenser ever again (not too hard really). You can power a modern radio/stereo, your phone charger, that panel mounted GPS navigation system you want to install. If you want to add A/C (no simple task) then 12v is almost a must-have, unless you're a mechanical wizard of some sort (see HH56). All of your existing wiring, if serviceable, is oversized for 12v and so should be fine to carry the current. and you can get a jump start from anyone on the street if your car quits. Cons? you have to change out every light bulb. Some of your gauges might not work without some voltage changers. there is anecdotal evidence that your starter may now be too powerful for it's own good. you'll have to buy a new alternator, and change up the wiring and brackets a bit for that. You'll need to find a 12v heater fan.

depends then on just what you want to accomplish, and what mechanically needs to be done to the car anyway that involves the above stuff.

Posted on: 2015/8/6 13:24
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
More power?

Attach file:

jpg  (24.56 KB)
1220_55c3aabd8455f.jpg 572X298 px

Posted on: 2015/8/6 13:44
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Craig Fox
See User information
Ok I am convinced, rebuild the 6volt it is.
Thanks

Posted on: 2015/8/6 22:38
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved