Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
231 user(s) are online (146 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 231

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Repairing dash plastic
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jerry
See User information
I plan on taking a couple of 41/42 radio waterfalls and cut them apart and try to re-glue the parts into one good waterfall before I paint it.

The question I have is- What is the best glue or epoxy to use on the plastic from that era.
I am guessing they are made of Tenite like the steering wheels but that is just a quess.

Also what is the best filler to use to fill any voids or cracks in the ash tray surround made of the same material?

Anybody had good luck doing this?

Thanks

Posted on: 2015/9/7 19:26
 Top  Print   

Re: Repairing dash plastic
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
try thistothat.com. The site says it offers information on gluing different materials together. I have not gone to the site, just bookmarked it just in case.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/9/8 10:06
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Might try Weld-On # 16. Clear medium bodied, solvent cement for joining acrylic.

Posted on: 2015/9/8 12:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
It's almost certainly Tennite, Eastman's brand name for their cellulosic. (I think the Packard stuff is a butyrate)

I've filled cracks with epoxy or glazing putty. I'd use an epoxy. The real issue is that the material is generally oxidized and degraded by now. Acrylic (poly acrylate) solvent may soften undegraded Tennite, but I doubt it will touch degraded stuff. I'd consider a backside mesh and/or joint pins for mechanical reinforcement.

Don't use anything just because it says it's "for plastic" as that covers a wide range of dissimilar materials.

Posted on: 2015/9/8 16:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
These and other plastic parts for your car are available here.
http://www.yesterdaysradio.com/pdfs/catalog.pdf

You might email your question to them since working with Packard dash, etc, plastic is their specialty.

Posted on: 2015/9/9 8:48
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved