Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
218 user(s) are online (146 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 214

Leeedy, 37Blanche, JW49, DaveJr, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Brake fluid to ATF on Dura Hydro
Home away from home
Home away from home

1OF750
See User information
does one need to replace lift cylinders in each door and both from top lift cylinders and hoses to change fluid type?

any clues on source for hoses?

Posted on: 2015/9/8 13:29
 Top  Print   

Re: Brake fluid to ATF on Dura Hydro
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
On my 53 I made my own hoses for the doors. what i would suggest you do is replace all the steel lines with plastic tubing, I had the window line rust out under the front seat, what a mess and all new carpet. find a hydraulic line shop, they can set you up.

Posted on: 2015/9/8 13:50

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Hydro-E-Lectric also makes hoses.

One thing to watch for if you have them made is the size of the hose and fittings that have to pass thru the rubber conduit at the doors.

The original hoses had the fittings almost the same diameter as the hose and also had a more slippery covering than the typical hydraulic hose of today. Some of the modern fittings seem to be slightly larger where they crimp and that plus the larger and "stickier" hose have caused some problems in getting thru the conduit.

Posted on: 2015/9/8 14:03
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Shields
See User information
To answer your first question, in my experience I'd say the answer is no, you don't have to replace hoses and cylinders when switching fluids from brake fluid to ATF. I changed my convertible's fluid to Dexron ATF back in 2005 and saw no adverse effects on the hoses or cylinders. The fluid changeover procedure that I used is shown in the lubricants and fluids section of the Packard Club's forum, www.packardclub.org. Just enter "Power Top Fluid" in the search box at the upper right of the forum screen. The thread is from June of 2014. It's not a very difficult procedure to perform.

Posted on: 2015/9/9 0:21
Don Shields
1933 Eight Model 1002 Seven Passenger Sedan
1954 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved