Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
82 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 81

HH56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1955 Caribbeam top
Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
This is a follow up to earlier posts about my steps,in getting a color match to interior after the original top with sewn in liner from Keppich was ruined and she retired.
Following Leeedy's suggestion,,I located white pinpoint nylon with a tan liner and found a supplier of a water based top dye- World Upholstery in California (800) 222-9577.
After securing a sample of the top fabric and a spray can of the dye, I felt confident of coverage and flexibility and ordered a color match. The price is $99/ qt+ $75 for color match + shipping.
The material was secured through an approved upholsterer from ElectronTops who agreed to produce a top from the dyed material. I am not sure if they will agree to do more and it might be better for someone who plans to show the car to secure material from Hirsch or other supplier and have someone tailor the top for perfect fit. Mine is fine but it is not going to be judged.
I will,post pictures if I can get them to load. Anyone interested can contact me through Forum.
I got 10'yards of material( 59" wide) but they need about 7. The dye covered well in two coats and one quart covered a bit over the 7 yards.

Posted on: 2015/10/24 1:22
 Top  Print   

Re: 1955 Caribbeam top
Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Ahh. Electron is an old company and they actually made several tops for me back in the 1970s. I also had tops made by Acme Auto Headlining in Long Beach, CA (I gave them all my Packard factory top patterns but no idea if they still have them)and by Robbins Auto Top Company.

I highly, highly recommended Robbins. They made the best tops for 1956 with color inside. But unfortunately when Robbins moved from Santa Monica they closed their retail and individual customer service operation.

Let's see your pics.

The main thing to remember with Caribbean convertible tops is to install them properly and don't be in a hurry. The alignment of the rear bow is extremely critical and if not done dead accurate, the entire rest of the top fitting and measurements are thrown off.

And remember... the rear bow was trimmed at the factory with a stainless steel trim piece-not soft trim. This allowed better water proofing and very beautifully finished appearance. But lacking this piece, only use a trim piece called a "wire-on." NEVER use a piece known as a "hidem." These tend to fill with and absorb water. Very bad for these tops.

Posted on: 2015/10/25 11:57
 Top  Print   

Re: 1955 Caribbeam top
Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
Leeedy- Thanks for your prior posts regarding your earlier efforts to replace the top. Big help.
When I began restoration of the Caribbean, I had no idea that the color matched top was not accomplished with a headliner. I knew the inner surface matched the interior color but the few that I observed had utilized a top from Keppich or used the same technique. I guess this would work for show presentation, but it really does not work well if you opt to lower the tops-- it wrinkles badly and is really a difficult installation.
I have forwarded some shots to Big Kev which I hope he will post for review. I continue to have difficulty getting photos to load to the site.....most likely due to my computer illiteracy.
I am not 100% satisfied with the installation but it is adequate for a car that will be driven with the top down.
Thanks again.
RJR

Posted on: 2015/10/25 15:13
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved