Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
224 user(s) are online (148 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 221

William Grosz, todd landis, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1941 Packard 160 woody?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan
See User information
I was surfing the web for a Packard desktop wallpaper when I came across the following site...

http://oldcarandtruckpictures.com/Packard/1940.html

On that page is a picture of a 1941 Packard 160 station wagon.

Do any of these exist? I hope so, because it's one of the most beautiful woodies I've ever seen!

The pic on this site almost looks like a Packard ad or promo, though, so that's why I made this post.

Posted on: 2008/12/4 9:38
 Top  Print   

Re: 1941 Packard 160 woody?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Packard didn't offer a station wagon on the 160 chassis; there is a green 160 woodie from the Connecticut area that's been around for years and photographed and written about in various publications. I don't recall the details but it's not a factory-original car, though bodied in the factory style. I believe the one you're refering to is a custom-bodied shooting brake bodied in England or the Continent on a 160 chassis and yes, it or one very much like it may still exist somewhere. I don't recall just where I've seen the photographs, perhaps an old issue of "The Packard Cormorant".

EDIT: Correction, the green 160 station wagon that I recalled is a 1940 and was written up in the Spring 1975 issue of TPC.

Posted on: 2008/12/4 10:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan
See User information
I didn't think they offered a wagon on that chassis either, but the picture on that website is absolutely gorgeous. Another custom-bodied chassis, perhaps?

Does the green Connecticut car resemble this one, or is it a more 'conventional' woody?

Click to see original Image in a new window

This is the image I'm referring to...

Posted on: 2008/12/4 10:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
The green car is conventional. I saw the red car at the 100th anniversary meet in Warren in 1999. It's one of those cars that stops you in your tracks. It was gorgeous!

Posted on: 2008/12/4 11:48
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I apologize for remembering that the British-bodied shooting brake that I referenced above was of the 1941 vintage. I have found the photo of it in The Packard Cormorant, Volume 90. The car apparently was originally a 1934 1101 coupe (717) bought from UK concessionaire Leonard Williams though records of who did the coachwork were apparently lost during the war. There is a lovely little story about the car in that volume.

I also enjoy some of the earlier station wagons and will show two others, the first a 1934 that was shown at the Warren Centennial and then bought by a New Jersey collector and thankfully repainted (it was a sickly green at Warren) in the course of a meticulous restoration. I knew this car since my adolescence, it was local to me in Englewood, New Jersey owned by Paul Lamb at that time. Of course it was not a factory offering, the bodywork is by Bridgeport but I forget if the chassis is an 1100 or 1101; one story I've heard is that it was converted from an 1100 sedan, another that is was on a purchased 1101 chassis. Easy enough to determine by measuring the wheelbase, I've just not had the occasion to do so.

The last photo I have to apologize for as well, as it is not Packard but a 1934 Piece Arrow 8 bodied by Cantrell. Photo by this writer at Steve Babinsky's shop in New Jersey.

Hope you enjoy these.

Attach file:

jpg  (116.07 KB)
177_4939a375572dc.jpg 1280X769 px

jpg  (39.40 KB)
177_4939a3c07bac5.jpg 640X482 px

jpg  (100.84 KB)
177_4939a3dedfac7.jpg 1195X793 px

Posted on: 2008/12/5 16:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
MIDon
That's a beautiful website that John Macdonald has set up there. I found that when I was first looking at Packards last year. I think he is just an avid classic car lover with web space to spare.

He is not as innovative as our own BigKev, however.

DanL

Posted on: 2008/12/5 23:24
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Flattery will get you everywhere!

Posted on: 2008/12/5 23:28
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Owen
The correct term for station wagons is "break." As researched by a curator from the Smithsonian's division of transportation, the term came from the "skeleton carts" that were used to exercise and break horses, instead of training them on the expensive carriages.
Sometimes horses, while being broken, kicked the hell out of the training vehicle, thus the skeleton chassis. As it evolved, makeshift coachwork was used. Later, "breaks" were used for hunting parties and picnics, carrying dogs, food and ammunition under the seats... thus, "shooting break."
You will, of course, now find "brake" in the dictionary as "n. a break (carriage)." But break is also listed as "n. a large, four-wheeled carriage for six or more passengers: also spelled brake."
I tend to use first spellings. I also tend to misspell a lot of words...

There are many words in the dictionary that were added because they've been used incorrectly for a long time.
George Hamlin wrote a great piece for the Packard Cormorant a few years ago on this.

Posted on: 2008/12/8 10:13
West Peterson
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks for the correction and clarification, West, it's a dull day that you don't learn something new.

Posted on: 2008/12/8 10:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
You're welcome. It will be an extremely rare article where you actually see it spelled correctly.

Posted on: 2008/12/8 11:10
West Peterson
1970 Camaro RS

Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved