Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
184 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 184

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1941 Windsheild trim removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
I wish there was more basic body and general info on Packards. Makes it tough when you work on a car that you are not familiar with. I am pretty familiar with my 37 but am undergoing a learning curve on the 41. Hopefully as time goes on this will improve.

Posted on: 2016/3/15 10:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It appears the 46-50 Clipper style body windshields come out from the inside but no idea on 41 conventional bodies.

Rant:

I've often wondered how Packard mechanics were informed of various changes and procedures. Surely all dealerships had new hires and doubt that many seasoned mechanics who could pass the info on were available for every new dealership to have one or two. Were there special letters or bulletins that have not surfaced? I know they had factory schools on some big ticket things but were there visiting zone mechanics that would take minor information such as windshield trim removal to the field?

I've often commented on the superb mechanics memory that must have been required the way Packard used a motor number suffix and dabs of paint to denote running changes and it would seem body work needs the same accomplishment. A good example is removing some switches from dashes -- most prewar and even the 48-50 come to mind. That subject comes up frequently here and on other forums and I've never seen a factory description of the earlier processes other than "remove the switch". The commonly available service literature mentions very little on such mundane things. It seems if something was used in a previous year it was not covered with any kind of description in manuals. Question is how did they let mechanics know what to do the first year it appeared.

Postwar manuals were a bit better but not by much. The 46-50 manual mentions very little on anything electrical but does go to better detail on some body parts such as windshield, door and window treatment. Since I like electrical things I'll pick one. Knowing you need to remove the entire bank of 48-50 switches to access one switch is not printed in anything I've run across -- let alone telling a mechanic where the screws are located. 51-4 are so-so and 55-6 manuals are better but still leave a lot to be desired.

Pick up a Stude or GM or most other mfg manual and much of that stuff is covered in great detail. What is not in their service manuals is covered in excellent parts book illustrations and photos. Go figure.

End of rant.

Posted on: 2016/3/15 12:11
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

custo eight
See User information
I was told the same by the rubber supplier. There is very little rubber visible from the outside of the 21st series with mostly stainless steel trim. That would indicate that the mass of the trim, the part that is holding the glass, is on the inside of the car, not the outside. I doubt there is more than 3/16-1/4" rubber reveal looking at the window from outside. Looking at the 41 photos, looks to be the same size stainless trim with very little exposed rubber.

Posted on: 2016/3/15 15:21
Where principles are involved, be deaf to expediency. (Matthew Fontaine Maury 18th century oceanographer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
After studying this a little closer I agree with what you have explained. The gasket supplier also explained how the glass was installed from the inside. Thank you

Posted on: 2016/3/15 15:39
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved