Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
178 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 178

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

Re: 1956 Caribbean hardtop options on a Four Hundred
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Victor, you might have a talk with Joel Ray about that rubber shield. He an I were talking about it a year or so ago and IIRC he said he was on the trail of some commercial extrusion that was a good match.

Posted on: 2016/3/25 17:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I bought an extrusion several years ago from Joel. It looks close but the rubber is not as stiff as an original. My first 56 had an original. It was very stiff.

Posted on: 2016/3/25 17:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
Thanks Owen_Dyneto! That is a great lead, and thanks Randy, I will try to get one!

I will report on the engine block code next week.

Posted on: 2016/3/25 17:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Hello Victor,

I do not know if all CKD/KD Packards were sent via ECA. I only know that some obviously were. The fellow who told me certainly should have known with his position at ECA, Inc.

With trainloads of vehicles going to ECA as Packard West Coast Distributor and with main routes into Mexico from SoCal and Mexico being the next entity south of California, there is logic here.

Ford was doing likewise, at least as recently as the 1980s and probably well after...ask me how I know.

And remember, Mr. Anthony spelled it Earle... with an "e" on the end.

RE: the Creative Industries book, you can find preview info about it on Amazon.com.

Anyway, the Scottish Heather looks gorgeous in the photos.

Enjoy that beautiful Four Hundred!

Posted on: 2016/3/25 17:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
Gracias, Leeedy!

Shortest way for sure would be directly from Detroit to Puebla (where O'Farril was assembling Packards and which is even a bit farther south than Mexico city) via Texas, but of course, I don't have a clue as to why send them to California first... perhaps Earle (with an E, thanks!) was the distributor who had the relationship with the O'Farril family... or as you say, some were sent by him directly.

Thanks again!
victor

Posted on: 2016/3/25 17:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

56P400 wrote:
Gracias, Leeedy!

Shortest way for sure would be directly from Detroit to Puebla (where O'Farril was assembling Packards and which is even a bit farther south than Mexico city) via Texas, but of course, I don't have a clue as to why send them to California first... perhaps Earle (with an E, thanks!) was the distributor who had the relationship with the O'Farril family... or as you say, some were sent by him directly.

Thanks again!
victor

Well? Again, I don't know about this specific car for sure... or anything about Packard's corporate policies vis-a-vis Mexico. However, one could look at it this way: Prepare a set of auto shipping train cars from Detroit... especially just to go all the way directly to Mexico? Or add a few more cars KD'd onto a trainload already bound for SoCal, and then route the handful out from there? Shortest distance isn't always the cheapest-especially when it comes to economies of scale.

And remember too that Mr. Anthony wasn't just West Coast Distributor... he was also on the Packard Board of Directors too... at least for a while.

Posted on: 2016/3/25 17:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
Got it. Thanks!

I just tried to contact Joel Ray via his page on ebay, as I couldn't find the rubber shield or insulator there. Hope he still handles it.

Posted on: 2016/3/25 18:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
Joel does not handle the part any more, but he was kind enough to offer taking pics of the one on his car and sending them. At least that way I will see if I can find something to duplicate it.

Posted on: 2016/3/26 11:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Should Joel forget, let me know and I can take pictures of the original one on my car. It's a simple box section of extruded rubber with a full-length slit cut across the narrow dimension, Length 3-3/16, width 25/32, height 31/32, wall thickness 1/8". The slit is more than just a cut, a small amount of material is actually removed.

Posted on: 2016/3/26 13:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
O_D, from your description it reads like one could be easily made from either square section or round rubber product. Can the VR be turned around so the terminals are on the bottom without drilling any additional holes in the radiator bracket?

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2016/3/26 14:54
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved