Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
144 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 143

39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

37 120 front end noise
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

rvsls
See User information
Had my 37 120 coupe convertible out for a 300 mile 3 day outing this past weekend and the front right corner developed a clunking/groaning sound only when I turned the steering wheel at slow/stopped speed. Seemed worse when I backed up. Any ideas before I start my search?

Thanks for any ideas,

Rod Smith, Reno NV

Posted on: 2016/3/28 21:21
 Top  Print   

Re: 37 120 front end noise
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Front wheel bearing?

Posted on: 2016/3/28 22:10
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
I agree...and surely you've checked to assure the lug bolts are tight.

Posted on: 2016/3/28 23:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Not very likely, but my 1940 did the same think upon turning left or right when I first started restoration. Previously had noticed the right fender had been repaired from some sort of collision in the past. I pulled the front drum and noticed it was just slightly rubbing at the top of the backing plate. Took a bright light and magnifying glass, noticed a very small hairline crack at base of wheel spindle, support. Pulled if off car, put it between centers and noticed the spindle was bent. This could have been very dangerous had the spindle broke when driving.

Posted on: 2016/3/29 7:46
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

rvsls
See User information
Thanks for the tips! I will begin looking into the problem this weekend.
Rod Smith, Reno NV

Posted on: 2016/3/30 21:50
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

rvsls
See User information
Well, it wasn't loose lug bolts or the wheel bearing! Will have to put it up on my lift and do some checking. Would the king pin cause a clunk if it is worn?
Rod Smith, Reno NV

Posted on: 2016/4/1 23:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Something again not very likely, but, it is possible the noise is coming from your steering box. Might be worn shims, or overly tightened adjusting screw. Again just a thought.

Posted on: 2016/4/2 1:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
I guess the question for us in the audience is whether the noise is rotational and consistent, such as a wheel bearing, or a loose brake component, or situational, such as a jump in steering control after a bump, indicating a non-rotational component issue.

could king pins be bad?. jack up front wheel, grab wheel at 12 and 6 o'clock and see if you can wiggle. Also eye for movement at end of shock absorber to wheel support. Very tough to tell, but you could also put your eyes on the lower inner suspension point, least likely failure of the above.

Steering box? Very possible - remove cover, 4 bolts, have someone rotate steering wheel and see if the "roller" moves smoothly, or if the bearings have failed (possible) the wheel will not react to movement consistently.

Keep us posted and we'll try to help.

DAF

Posted on: 2016/4/2 8:39
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

rvsls
See User information
Good thoughts! It does not happen while driving. It only pops/groans when starting up and turning the steering wheel. It may be more pronounced when backing up as out of a parking spot and turning the steering wheel.

Rod Smith, Reno NV

Posted on: 2016/4/2 21:54
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved