Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
199 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 199

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

New Old stock (NOS) or Re-Chrome?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
I'm nearly at the point with my '55 Patrician to start work on the body with a view towards having it painted by the end of the summer. With that in mind, I've been buying some NOS chrome items as I look to have some other items re-plated.

The NOS items that I've acquired thus far have been quite nice for items manufactured some 60 years ago. However, I realize that I cannot get everything I want for my Patrician in NOS form.

I have a friend in the restoration business who has agreed to let me include some of my parts in with his business for re-chroming, but he warned me that it was a 4 to 6 week process and somewhat expensive. I'll be starting out with the two front bumper dagmars to see the quality of the work and the cost. I also like the idea of having parts that were originally with my Patrician refurbished and remaining with the car.

My question for the group is whether you prefer new re-plating to New Old Stock items when you are re-fitting your Packard after a new paint job? Anyone have any insights, preferences, or stories that they wish to share?

Posted on: 2016/2/24 11:27
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

[size=x-small][color=000099][font=Georgia][url=https://packardinfo.c
 Top  Print   

Re: New Old stock (NOS) or Re-Chrome?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just keep in mind that today's "show chrome" done by a quality shop will almost certainly be to a higher standard than routine factory chrome of the 50s. I purchased a collection of 55/56 parts when I bought my '56Caribbean; included was all the front end chrome, grille, upper grille bars, dagmars, hockey sticks, fender side chrome, in fact everything except the bumper bar, in NOS packing. Yes it was very nice, but I've seen nicer come back from high end plating shops. Nevertheless I installed all the NOS items and am pleased with it - but then though the car has an expensive repaint and presents well, I'm not into the competitive judging aspect of ownership.

Cost may or may not be a factor for you; the grille assembly itself is the most complex piece and a top-end plating house might ask $5000 or so for plating. Another thing to consider if replating is that the real skill isn't dunking parts into plating chemistry, it's the repair, surfacing and polishing while still retaining the original details and contours that's the key to excellent work.

Another risk factor to consider when replating again regards the skill of the plater; selecting current densities and using current "thieves" for unusual geometries to prevent plating "burn". We've all heard the stories about platers "loosing" parts and it wouldn't surprise me that some were destroyed in the shop and not just physically lost.

In the end it's your balance between your expectations and desires in the finished product, your budget, and the risks.

Attach file:

jpg  (122.08 KB)
177_56cddf72b666c.jpg 1280X862 px

Posted on: 2016/2/24 11:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As O_D has pointed out new work may not match NOS. Worse yet is new work done but at different times or at different shops. If the two chrome items are going to be part of the same assy or even next to one another the difference can stand out like you won't believe. Just something to consider as you decide what to take in each trip.

Posted on: 2016/2/24 12:16
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
The grille on a 56, probably 55 also must be painted after rechroming. It is worth the money if you are not confident of your own abilities. And paint the inside of the bumpers and other parts so the job will last a long time. There is some gold trim that will require replating and not all platers do that.

Posted on: 2016/2/24 16:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
I appreciate the input and advice. Right now, the biggest items I'm looking at are the front and rear bumpers and the grille. I have pretty decent parts or NOS for most of the other chrome. Just recently I picked up a pair of NOS front turn signal/parking light assemblies for a little over what a pair of NOS parking/turn signal lenses would go for. Lucky auction, I guess.

I'm not planning to restore either of my Packards to show condition but I do want decent chrome to go with the body work and new paint.

Posted on: 2016/2/29 14:23
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
Owen, your estimate for having a '55 or '56 grille re-plated was spot on! I submitted my grille to a plater's for an estimate and the plater came back with a quote of $5,000, right in line with your comment. I had carefully chosen my best pieces to send for re-plating, few, if any pits, etc. Still came back with a $5K quote. Ouch! I think I'll try my luck with the rear bumper parts next.

Posted on: 2016/3/29 9:46
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved