Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
191 user(s) are online (115 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 190

Peter, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

53 Caribbean Script
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jack Lindholme
See User information
I have been re-living my PACKARD memories (some of the
happiest days of my life); and I enjoy flipping through
the photos of 1953 cars, and it raises a question in my
mind. My 53 Caribbean (2678-2540) had chrome emblems that
said Caribbean in script on each front fender about midway between the door seam and the rear of the front wheel opening. In looking through the photos, I find only one 53 and one 54 with the emblems. Were they not a part on every
new Caribbean? When I had my car, I saw an original advertisement that clearly showed such an emblem. Or is my memory becoming clouded? Just wondering. SVENSK

Posted on: 2008/12/13 0:53
 Top  Print   

Re: 53 Caribbean Script
Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin
See User information
My friend Bill was in the process of restoring his 1953 Caribbean when we first became friends in college, so I learned a fair amount about the 1953 Caribbeans through sharing the research that he was doing about his car.

I'll start with the caveat of "In Regular Production" -- because there's always a chance that someone could surface Ed Macauley's personal 1953 Caribbean #1 with custom die cast scripts from Creative Industries, etc. -- but In Regular Production, no 1953 Caribbeans had a nameplate script on it that said "Caribbean." The only advertisement ever issued for that model clearly shows one, but that was purely a glimmer in some Detroit ad guy's brain. What happens often is that people will take the 1954-1956 nameplates (chrome for 1954, gold for 1955 & 56) and retrofit them to their 1953 Caribbeans. I'd be willing to bet that this is what happened to your car before you bought it.

Posted on: 2008/12/13 2:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
I agree with 55Packardconv. That is almost for sure what happened. Check the parts book and you will see no script in 53.

Posted on: 2008/12/13 13:54
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jack Lindholme
See User information
Thanks Guys: I was having doubts about my memory, and wondered if Alzheimer's had set in. Too bad that I can't find out from the original owner, he was in his sixties when he bought it new,and I bought it when he traded it in ,in January of 1957, So, I agree that what you have explained is the most plausible reason....Thanks, SVENSK

Posted on: 2008/12/13 17:13
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Caribbean
See User information
This is Vance George who is the roster keeper on these for the PAC club, the post answers are correct that none of these 1953 cars originally had the Caribbean script, you do see a lot of cars that later have these scripts added in various places and also have the finned 1954 headlight rims added which is also not factory correct, some folks just felt this script was needed but it is indeed not original. I would love to hear about 1953 caribbean #1 more which is 2678-2001! heard many rumors of it over the years, I heard it was found where it was just a remaining firewall in Kentucky and then heard it may have been in Florida as a rough complete car, the earliest confirmed car is #2 which i belive is still in Texas. Thanks

Posted on: 2008/12/15 4:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Caribbean wrote: This is Vance George who is the roster keeper on these for the PAC club.......

G'day Vance,

to Packardinfo. Good to hear from you on this matter and thanks for your informative reply.

And, although it's , could you add your Packard/s to the Owner Registry now that you're a Packardinfo member?

Posted on: 2008/12/15 4:59
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Caribbean
See User information
sure will!

Posted on: 2008/12/15 5:46
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved