Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
222 user(s) are online (150 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 219

Phat Jonny, ScottG, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Engine noise
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

FREDERICK E WILEY
See User information
When idling, my motor makes a chattering or rattling noise.This is a 1948 Deluxe Eight with the 288 engine, sixteen thousand original miles. Oil changed and pan cleaned. Fuel pump and carb rebuilt. I am using regular nonethanol gas.After the rebuilds everything was reset but the car was making this noise when I got it. I don't think the car is tuned correctly but my availability of mechanics for repair is slim. Any ideas on what this noise could be ?

Posted on: 2016/8/8 22:49
Fred in Florida

1948 Deluxe Eight Sedan 2262
 Top  Print   

Re: Engine noise
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Arthur C, 1602-1191
See User information
HI Fred; can you give us some more info. eg is the motor running evenly as in able to have a coin on edge on its cylinder head? etc. First thought is timing chain.
I like the styling of your car.

Posted on: 2016/8/8 23:22
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

FREDERICK E WILEY
See User information
You could not balance a nickel on this engine, although I had always heard you could. It does "shake a little". I had attributed that to aging or hardening motor mounts. Could the timing chain be loose? I like the styling too ,but a lot of folks don't. Every where I have been, folks have really liked the old girl.You just don't see many antiques on the roads around north Florida, let alone a Packard.

Posted on: 2016/8/8 23:37
Fred in Florida

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Check that the fan belt, water pump and generator are not the cause of your rattle. Make sure everything there is bolted together properly. You could also take off the fan belt and run the engine for a minute to see if your rattle goes away.

Posted on: 2016/8/8 23:56
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Tob's idea is a very good one. Water pumps will make a lot of noise. It is highly unlikely the timing chain needs attention at that mileage. The other thought would be valve tap. That would be from poor adjustment of the mechanical lifters as an eight would not normally have hydraulics,

Posted on: 2016/8/9 5:53
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Tommy Baccaro
See User information
Not sure if it would cause the chatter you describe but I suspect that some of the rocking could come from motor mounts. When overhauling the cooling system of our '47, I could clearly see the front mount and it was badly worn. Replaced it and that helped but still was not totally still. Closer inspection showed both the side mounts, some call them stabilizers, were broke. There is still another on the tranny but since it is very stable now, I am not worried about it.

Posted on: 2016/8/9 9:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning all...When we received our 1949 288 Deluxe, 'Miss Prudence',she sounded like a threshing machine. It turned out that the valves were set too loose. We set them per the book and the old girl has been quiet sense. If I remember correctly, 7 thousands on the intake and 10 thousands on the exhaust. Others can confirm.

First jack up the front end and put stands under the left and right of the front end. Second,remove the hatch that is part of the inner fender. Third, remove the two valve covers and see what you have for clearance. Ernie

Posted on: 2016/8/9 10:31
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
If you could post a video, that would be very helpful.
Wes

Posted on: 2016/8/9 15:57
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

FREDERICK E WILEY
See User information
Thanks for all the input. I believe Ernie is right about the valve settings. The engine mounts also need to be checked. I made a video with my phone and I will try and post it.

Posted on: 2016/8/9 16:59
Fred in Florida

Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved