Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
262 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 261

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: Over-Drive vs Gear Change for a '34 Coupe
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom Beidleman
See User information
Gentlemen: While I appreciate the last two comments, I hate to admit this, but I'm a complete failure at Math !
However,it seems to me that the bottom line might be, "How do you take some of that stress out of the engine, as you are cruising down the road ?"
And it seems (to me at least) an overdrive unit is the answer....or should I change out the connecting rods, etc as well ? OR, am I missing the point and solution altogether ?
TomB

Posted on: 2016/11/8 19:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
Tom,

In response to your question: How do you take some of that stress out of the engine, as you are cruising down the road ?"

The answer is simple, keep your speed at or below 50 mph. Besides potential engine damage these cars do not handle well at higher speeds if something goes wrong such as the need for a sudden stop or swerve .

Your ear will tell you when you are over working the engine.

I also totally agree with Owen D.

Posted on: 2016/11/8 20:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom Beidleman
See User information
Thanks DavidM. I hear you loud and clear and appreciate your and everyone else's advise.
Regards,
TomB

Posted on: 2016/11/8 20:38
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

shinyhubcap
See User information
Quote:

DavidM wrote:
. . . . .these cars do not handle well at higher speeds if something goes wrong such as the need for a sudden stop or swerve .

============================================

Hi David:
You tell us "THESE CARS DO NOT HANDLE WELL AT HIGHER SPEEDS IF SOMETHING GOES WRONG SUCH AS THE NEED FOR A SUDDEN STOP OR SWERVE"...

May I inquire as to your above post ? WHICH cars "do not handle well at higher speeds"?

Can you specify for us...tell us which Senior Packards you have personal experience with.....have owned or at least driven at these "higher speeds" you speak of How fast ? Can you be specific for us ?

Posted on: 2016/11/8 20:51
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

shinyhubcap
See User information
Quote:

TomB wrote: an overdrive unit is the answer....or should I change out the connecting rods, etc as well ? TomB

= = =

Hi again Tom:

Nope - you aren't missing anything!

You may choose to listen to those of us who actually own and operate pre-war "Senior" Packards.

I am sure the guys who own the "Jr. series" and/post-war Packards mean well. But they are basing their comments on what they know about their cars - clearly they are woefully ignorant about our pre-war "Seniors".

Yes, until you get an over-drive installed, I most certainly would limit your road speed to 45-50 mph as Owen suggests. IF you do that, and IF you "drop" the oil pan at least once every two years to make sure only fresh clean oil is sucked up by the oil pump, you MAY get good service FOR A WHILE assuming your motor is equipped with "stock" poured babbit connecting rod bearings.

Chances are, your car did not get good maintainence before you got it - who knows what condition those old poured babbit bearings are in. At the SLIGHTEST sound of engine noise from the rods, and/or oil pressure with 30 wt. oil drops below, say, 30 lbs psi at...oh...say 40 mph when hot, SHUT IT OFF AND DO NOT START IT AGAIN until it is properly repaired. You WILL ruin your crank-shaft. Repairing a "Senior" series crankshaft that has been run with bad rod bearings is...well.....not for the faint-hearted....!

I rather doubt if too many wrecking yards have a stock of 1935-1939 Eight motors for you to get the connecting rods out of, so you can machine them to fit modern "insert" type rod bearings. I personally would not drive a babbit-rod bearing equipped Packard very far for for the above reason (Owen is lucky...in my view... my experience over the years (more than a few...with more than a few pre-1935 Packards......! ) tells me he is pushing his luck and is on borrowed time).

There are folks who can take your old connecting rods, use them for dimensional data, and make you up connecting rods that will accept modern "insert" type bearings (the kind ALL Packards had from 1935 production forward).

However, even with reliable "insert" type bearings, I would still go to the expense of installing a modern auxiliary transmission ( also known as an overdrive).

Once you have done that, (and other proper maintainence) I guarantee you will find yourself literally overwhelmed with delight as you drive your Packard, and discover why the Packard name is so legendary.

And be sympathetic to these guys who think our pre-war Senior Packards (again...PROPERLY MAINTAINED...!) don't handle & brake superbly at ANY speed. They obviously don't know what they are missing!

Posted on: 2016/11/8 21:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
ok, so how many of any of you owners of SENIOR pre-war Packards can run the interstate hihways at 70 mph for hours on end????

Posted on: 2016/11/8 21:18
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

shinyhubcap
See User information
Quote:

PackardV8 wrote:
ok, so how many of any of you owners of SENIOR pre-war Packards can run the interstate hihways at 70 mph for hours on end????

===================================================

Ha - guess you havn't driven much in the Los Angeles area freeways in Southern California.......depending on where and when...you'll be lucky to average 20 mph...at other times in other places either in the Los Angeles area...or on the I-15 going to Las Vegas and/or the I-40 going to "the river"....you try going 70 mph even in the right hand lane, you stand a good chance of getting rear ended !

Posted on: 2016/11/8 21:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
My '34 Eight engine had accumulated just over 83,000 miles when I first heard the faintest hint of a rod bearing knock on cold startup. The engine was rebuilt at that point,I stayed with poured bearings.

Posted on: 2016/11/8 21:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom Beidleman
See User information
Ain't that the truth ?!
Anyway, to Shinyhubcap, I can't thank you enough for the insight from actually owning. driving, and working on/maintaining Packards in my year and model range. It doesn't get more "hands-on" than via your own personal experience, and I will definitely be guided accordingly. You and OD have "been there and done that" with the '34 and while everyone else brings valuable insight and information to the table. actual owners of my vintage car have undeniable first hand knowledge. Thank you, and everyone one else, for helping educate me.
Best Regards,
Tom

Posted on: 2016/11/8 21:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
Shinyhubcap,

In response to : May I inquire as to your above post ? WHICH cars "do not handle well at higher speeds"?

My experience with Packards as a driver is entirely confined to the cars with beam front axles and mainly the 1920's and I have no doubt that the later models with independent suspension are much better.
However the topic was about gearing and potential engine damage so lets leave it at that.

Posted on: 2016/11/8 22:54
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved