Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
188 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 184

37Blanche, Eugene Wescott, 58survivor, RKS, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: gasoline flooding atop ee16 carb after stopping
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Zach, if indeed what you had was a Daytona float valve, I wouldn't be the least bit concerned about its reliability. There must be thousands, probably tens of thousands of these in service including a fair number I've done, with few or no problems.

Posted on: 2016/11/23 11:05
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Zach Dillinger
See User information
I'm sure that is the case. This particular one seems to have been causing the carb to overflow. Replacing this one with a different style needle and replacing the clip (for which there was no accommodation on the hexagonal float) fixed the problem. I have no explanation for it.

Posted on: 2016/11/23 11:18
"I was going to buy my girl a Packard car for Christmas, but it took too long to deliver, so I bought her some handkerchiefs." - the inimitable Mr. Benny
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

bob hattler
See User information
I removed the top and found very little fuel in the bottom of the float chamber. I'll double check the float and hope for the best. 1/2 inch is close.
Bob

Posted on: 2016/11/24 13:02
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

bob hattler
See User information
I filled the carb with gas to the 1/2" level and the float and needle stopped the gas flow as proscribed when I cranked the engine. I'm at a loss now.
What could be causing excess fuel to cascade out of the top gasket when driven at high speed. It makes me curious as to what my gas mileage could be without the spillage.I have never used gasket seal on a carb, always thought it inappropriate.

Any thoughts,

Bob

Posted on: 2016/11/24 15:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
The disc type float valve is similar to what Daytona sells. There is no reason "not to trust" it as they work just fine

You said you filled the float chamber to 1/2", is that 1/2" depth of fuel from the bottom or from the top edge. Neither way of measurement is the correct way to measure, you need to measure the "float level" which is the distance from the top edge to the top of the float with the float at its upper level of travel.

Specs are in service manuals

Some types of float valves (needle and seat) use a clip, some do not. Those that do no don't need them

Posted on: 2016/11/24 15:25
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

bob hattler
See User information
Fred I agree, I have both specs. and a template for measuring the float level. The Packard manual specs 15/32 + or -1/32. I used the template from Daytona.
My original thought was that it leaked after stopping, but I tried running the engine in the garage till hot, no leakage. I took it out on the road at 65 MPH pulled into the garage and found gas on the carb.
To check the needle valve performance I filled the bowl to spec, cranked the engine and no gas passed the valve. I pushed down on the float and was hit with a spray of gas.
I'll try again tomorrow, I'm not sure what's next.
Thanks,
Bob

Posted on: 2016/11/24 21:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm not familiar with the EE-16 but ask, how is the fuel bowl vented? Some carb fuel bowls vent internally via a tube into the venturi area and others like the EE-22/23 have a "top hat" style fuel bowl vent on the cover over the bowl, kind of like a ship's scupper. But that vent is "baffled" by the gasket beneath it. Anything similar on the EE-16 - how is its fuel bowl vented?

Posted on: 2016/11/25 10:28
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

bob hattler
See User information
sorry no clue, I hate to think there is a fuel dump on a carb.

Thanks
bob

Posted on: 2016/11/25 18:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I hate to think there is a fuel dump on a carb.

I don't get your meaning.

Posted on: 2016/11/25 18:34
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

bob hattler
See User information
I have no idea how a carb is vented.

Posted on: 2016/11/25 19:14
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved