Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
210 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 209

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Information- 55th Series Caribbean Hardtop
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I like the addition of the 56 emblem even though the 55 Caribbean did not carry the lettering OR the emblem.

Posted on: 2016/11/30 14:32
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

erik813
See User information
Thanks. The car has a number "412" on the trunk underneath the Packard logo. Perhaps this number has some relevance if it was "Caribbeanized" by Creative Industries of Detroit.

Posted on: 2016/11/30 17:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Does this car have a 1957 engine in it?

Posted on: 2016/11/30 18:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If a stock 55 Packard engine did they go to the expense of the dual carb setup in the conversion or was the trim change the only difference.

Posted on: 2016/11/30 18:40
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

erik813
See User information
Yes, dual carb in the conversion.

Posted on: 2016/11/30 23:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
The important thing you will want to look for is the registration history of this car. For instance, was it ever registered in Michigan?

Build slips and all that kind of thing are not likely to tell you much of anything. Build slips are most likely going to tell you what this car left the factory as... and the plate on the driver's door jamb should already tell you the same thing. Basically it started life as a Four Hundred. What counts is what happened to it after that?

Find the provenance, the lineage of owners/sellers and whether the vehicle was ever registered in Michigan. These are all important clues. And as I said previously, the present paint color on this car has a meaning... and I recognize it.

Posted on: 2016/12/1 0:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mathew Rattray
See User information
Hey Leeedy,

How do you go about finding out the registration history of a vehicle. I personally know my Caribbean was in Denver Co, but how do you find out anything further through the DMV or other organizations?

Cheers,

Posted on: 2016/12/1 7:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Build slips and all that kind of thing are not likely to tell you much of anything. Build slips are most likely going to tell you what this car left the factory as... and the plate on the driver's door jamb should already tell you the same thing

I'd be particularly interested in two things the build slip/shipping order might provide; (1) any non-standard features like paint or upholstery noted as REQ (special requests), and (2) the dealership or factory branch to which the car was shipped which is likely to be the point of first sale.

Posted on: 2016/12/1 10:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As far as tracing the registration thru DMV, unless you have old paperwork listing all the prior owners I think that is an almost impossible task today. Even with names, in California at least the database is strictly off limits now due to the actress that was stalked and killed a few years ago. At the time the assailant was able to trace her car license plate thru DMV so that access was totally cut off to the public. Because of that instance, many other states also changed their laws and will not provide any DMV information to anyone but authorized law enforcement. To add to the problem, DMV databases are scrubbed periodically. Currently in California, if a car has not been registered for 5 years the old information is removed and no longer accessible. If you re-register a car after a period of inactivity all that prior data cannot be tracked and referenced with the current registration so in effect it is a brand new old car with no history.

Posted on: 2016/12/1 10:32
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
For once I disagree with Leeedy, and I offer the build sheet for my 56 Pat. I would never have known about chrome wire wheels on this vehicle w/o the build sheet I got from the Stude museum. I did find MITCHELL BENTLEY'S stamp on the inside of the door panels which explains the "SPEC" notation on the slip.

Attach file:

jpg  (241.25 KB)
23_58406484982e7.jpg 1582X2048 px

Posted on: 2016/12/1 12:57
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved