Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
69 user(s) are online (49 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 66

Aiden, HH56, 52 Mayfair, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 12 13 14 (15)

Re: Debi's 1953 Patrician
Home away from home
Home away from home

Duane Gunn
See User information
No, it starts just fine. I only needed the starter fluid for the 1st start. After that it starts right up on its own. Thanks for the help.

Posted on: 2017/5/19 3:26
1955 Clipper Custom
1940 160 Touring Sedan
1953 Patrician
1948 Super 8 Limo
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Duane Gunn
See User information
Almost a year has gone by without me adding anything.

Last fall I blew my muffler out! I had the distributor rebuilt and was driving it on the freeway when the car bogged down and started up and I heard a loud BANG! The muffler was blown. So for the next 10 miles I drove with no muffler. At home I noticed a lot of blow by out the down draft tube. I got some Car Tech Gel and added it to the oil following their directions. I have driven a couple hundred miles with no muffler, all on the freeway so as not to bother the neighbors too much. The car has always started up good, but now has better acceleration and the back firing has stopped.
With a new muffler I now hear different noises like a fan belt squealing. So I can fix other things now.
I will be updating each new fix and find.

Posted on: 2018/4/12 7:15
1955 Clipper Custom
1940 160 Touring Sedan
1953 Patrician
1948 Super 8 Limo
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Duane Gunn
See User information
On an update on the Cer Tek Gel, the car is running good. I still have some blow by, I have good acceleration, but not smooth at idle. It will idle fine with a miss, but takes off smooth with no back firing. It starts great when cold, but when warmed up I have a hard time restarting it.

I had a leak in the power steering unit under the car. I added stop leak to it and put a drain pan under the car to catch what was leaking. On checking the drain pan under the car I found a scorpian in the pan. The scorpian was dead of course but I'll be looking for a second one from now on. Oh, power steering isn't leaking as much now.

Posted on: 2018/6/2 15:51
1955 Clipper Custom
1940 160 Touring Sedan
1953 Patrician
1948 Super 8 Limo
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Duane Gunn
See User information
I know this is my 53 Patrician blog but I am working on 3 other cars at the same time.

Here is a picture of a king pin for my 1940 160 Sedan. I have owned the car for 13 years and the left front tire is wearing out on the inside of the tire. So I decided to get a rebuild kit and try to replace it. My nephew is a diesel mechanic and he is helping me. We have the car up on jack stands and tried to remove the pin holding the king pin in. We tried beating it, then used a torch to heat it up and beat it. I called a friend and he said to spray it with penetrating oil for a week and then beat it, that's how to remove the pin. Another mechanic said, "a small hammer is used to form metal, a large hammer is to move metal". I am using a 4 lb hammer and can't find a 5 lb hammer. The 8 lb hammers have a 4 foot handle, I can't use that under a car.
Any suggestions on how to remove the pin holding the king pin on?

I am working on putting together an engine that was just cleaned and re-bored from sitting too long for a 1948 Super 8 Limo, 141" wb. So that will show up here too.

Attach file:

jpg  (166.20 KB)
1632_5b330ffcae9a8.jpg 1200X1600 px

Posted on: 2018/6/26 23:26
1955 Clipper Custom
1940 160 Touring Sedan
1953 Patrician
1948 Super 8 Limo
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Duane - surely you are pounding in the correct direction - the pins are tapered. and if you need one, or a pair, of kingpins, I'd be happy to send them to you, Also check that the hole through the wheel support is good - even with the best pin and bushing replacement, a worn wheel support hole will frustrate your efforts.

DAF

Posted on: 2018/6/26 23:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Duane Gunn
See User information
Thanks
I have a new front end kit from Kanter, complete with new king pins. We will try again this weekend. Hopefully the penetrating oil will help. These are probably the original king pins and will need more than just persuading to get the pins out that hold them in there.

Posted on: 2018/6/27 22:49
1955 Clipper Custom
1940 160 Touring Sedan
1953 Patrician
1948 Super 8 Limo
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just a thought and I'd think you would have already checked this, but are you sure that the uneven tire wear isn't the result of incorrect alignment rather than king pin wear?

Posted on: 2018/6/28 7:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Duane Gunn
See User information
The rubber has all worn out and my nephew said I should have replaced the king pins 10 years ago.
The King pins weren't coming out easy. I asked questions and someone said to soak it with penetrating oil for a week. I thought he was nuts. So I mixed acetone and transmission fluid together for a homemade penetrating fluid that I found I line. We soaked it and then used an air hammer and after a week of soaking, the pin popped out.
It was not that bad of a job, except reaming the king pin bearings, that took most of the time. I guess my file was not coarse enough.
The king pins have been replaced and now I need to change out the tie rods. I have the outer tie rod, they came with the kit and I need the inner tie rods (which are on order). Then I can get a wheel alignment and some new tires.

Posted on: 2018/7/7 5:34
1955 Clipper Custom
1940 160 Touring Sedan
1953 Patrician
1948 Super 8 Limo
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 12 13 14 (15)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved