Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
161 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 160

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

brake backer plate removel 1941 120
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

casey rog
See User information
I am replacing the grease seals on the rear axel on my 1941 120. I did the passenger side and had a heck of a time putting the emergency brake cable back in place. Is it possible to remove the axle without removing the brake backer plate? I can clamp it in place while I remove the old hardware and grease seals. Has anyone done this before?
Thanks in advance.

Posted on: 2017/5/30 14:01
 Top  Print 

Re: brake backer plate removel 1941 120
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe you can replace the outer seal without removing the backing plate but to change the inner seal the backing plate is what retains the bearing assy and must come off for the axle to remove.

What about removing the clamp at the frame bracket where the top of the emerg brake cable outer housing attaches. Would that give you enough room to keep the cable attached to the backing plate but still slide the plate off and tie it out of the way?

On the 47 which I believe is the identical construction to the 41 axle, by removing the brake cable from the center equalizer the cable can be pulled up into the rear shoe area to provide extra room for attaching the cable. Once attached you can push and pull the excess back into position and then reconnect at the equalizer.

Posted on: 2017/5/30 14:30
Howard
 Top  Print 

Re: brake backer plate removel 1941 120
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Question was: Is it possible to remove the axle without removing the brake backer plate?

Answer: No.

Posted on: 2017/5/30 15:13
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved