Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
213 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 211

BigKev, Test User, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Gas tank
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob
See User information
Well I knock the gas tank filler tube loose on the 53 Packard. The radiator shop will boil it and weld the tube back for $90 not a bad price. So do I need to take out the sending unit? I marked the tube in the right position for welding in proper place. I pulled the tube loose and something fell off the tube inside the tank. I guess it was a back brace or something. My first time doing anything like this, need some advice.

Posted on: 2017/6/16 15:17
1953 Patrician
 Top  Print   

Re: Gas tank
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You should take the sender out to prevent damage or loss. The retaining ring just twists approx 45 degrees or so and will come off letting the sender lift out. Assuming the sender is still good, you should get a new cork gasket or an O ring before reinstalling it. Max or Kanter should have them.

No idea what could have knocked loose inside as there is not much in there. Here is a cut apart tank that Ross took a photo of showing what is there.

Attach file:

jpg  (54.74 KB)
209_59443dfdf16c3.jpg 1078X966 px

Posted on: 2017/6/16 15:23
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob
See User information
Ok thanks I will take out the sending unit. The loose part is the bracket that shows in the cut away gas tank. I looked in the tank,I guess it broke loose.

Posted on: 2017/6/16 15:31
1953 Patrician
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
It could be the fuel pickup line has rusted away or even simply disconnected from the tank bottom. Sometimes boiling out a tank also loosens it and sealing a tank can plug it so be sure to point it out to them. Many newer cars have the fuel pickup as part of the sender but not Packard. Tanks are available new as reproductions so probably a better bet than trying to repair a questionable one.

Posted on: 2017/6/16 16:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob
See User information
Who sell repo gas tanks for a Packard?

Posted on: 2017/6/16 16:52
1953 Patrician
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Kanter

Posted on: 2017/6/16 16:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob
See User information
Thank you

Posted on: 2017/6/16 16:58
1953 Patrician
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved