Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
206 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 205

39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

overdrive question
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Packrat48
See User information
does anyone know what I need to do?
I have my overdrive locked out and tied off to stay that way, but I can only drive in reverse if I try to go forward it just makes loud grinding noises.

what I need to know is what do I need to do to make it work as a regular trans ? the wiring is all to hell and messed with from previous owners so what do I need to do to bypass everything.

thanks

Posted on: 2017/7/8 23:23
 Top  Print   

Re: overdrive question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
You will need to tie your overdrive lockout lever forward. Then unhook the wires that go to the solenoid (big cylinder on the side of the trans). If the car still will not go forward you have likely a linkage problem that is not letting the trans shift all the way into 1st, or less likely a rather major failure in the overdrive itself.

Posted on: 2017/7/9 6:58
 Top  Print   

Re: overdrive question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you still have a problem after doing what Ross suggested, if you have the R9 OD which would be the unit which has the 4 wire solenoid located on the passenger side, possibly someone has removed the solenoid at some point and then reinstalled it incorrectly. If the end of the solenoid plunger is not properly engaged in the slot in the pawl, the pawl would have been pushed inward. It could be keeping items in the OD blocked so part of the mechanism and the internal reverse interlock linkage and the OD lockout lever is unable to function properly.

Posted on: 2017/7/9 8:41
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved