Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
238 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 237

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Shifter issue - 1940 Packard 160
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

George40
See User information
Beautiful day here in the northeast with warm temperature and changing leaf colors so I took the 1940 Packard 160 out for a ride. On two occasions I had trouble going from first to second. Felt like something was binding. Also, when back in the driveway, I had trouble getting into reverse. Now, everything seems to be fine but, with all the increased traffic these days, I don't want to get caught in first gear and not be able shift smoothly. Any thoughts, ideas? Thanks!

Posted on: 2017/10/22 13:30
 Top  Print   

Re: Shifter issue - 1940 Packard 160
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
One area on later Clipper based models that causes binding and hard shifting is lack of lubrication at the shift levers located at the bottom of the steering column.

The two levers need to be able to freely rotate on the shift shaft or tube. When R or 1 is selected, the tongue which is splined to the shift tube and rests inside a cavity in the upper lever moves down and engages the bottom R-1 lever to move the linkage to the transmission. The top 2-3 lever has to be completely free so it can remain stationary as the shift tube rotates the lower lever. Conversely, if 2-3 is desired the bottom lever must be free so it does not move. The interlock in the transmission case will come into play as any gear is selected but if two try to come in at once it will block both movements.

The Clipper design is cosmetically different but mechanically operates the same as the 40. There is a small oil hole on the Clippers (not sure if there on the 40) that wants a few drops of oil periodically. That oil will run down inside the tube to catch the tongue and some will run out a slot in the tube and wet the bottom lever. There is no provision for any lube to reach the top lever. That lever frequently dries and corrodes wanting to stick to the shift tube causing the hard shift issue on the later models.

I would suggest you look for a small roughly 1/8" oil hole on the engine side of the shift tube. If you find one place a few drops of oil inside. Also place a few drops of oil at the top of the upper lever and let it run down between the lever and tube. If there has been no attention then also place a few drops of oil in the middle between the levers so it can run down to catch the lower lever. That procedure has helped several with shift issues on the later models.

Attach file:

jpg  (134.21 KB)
209_59ecf16e1d51b.jpg 1848X910 px

Posted on: 2017/10/22 14:28
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Two thoughts:
1. NEVER try "sliding" from first to second in one motion. Do the FULL prodedure: up, over in neautral, up to second.
2. For reverse, try pumping the clutch once or twice before going into reverse.

Posted on: 2017/10/22 14:51
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

George40
See User information
Thank you,Howard and West!

Posted on: 2017/10/22 15:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Hello George:

You need to read this thread about the 1940-41-42 shifter issues:https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6106&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=0

You will also find that the search engine is your friend. A lot of items have been discussed before.

All the best to you and your 1940 160.

Posted on: 2017/10/22 20:40
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

George40
See User information
Thank you, Roger. I somehow missed the previous posts. Good information there.

Posted on: 2017/10/23 21:16
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved