Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
86 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 86

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

47 Windsheild Seal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Not wanting to high jack "23rd series rubber hood fender bumpers" but I saw the mention of Steele Rubber and having problems with the rubber also for windshields. Since I'm looking at replacing my seal for the windshield,due to water leaking in. I'm thinking to just put in a new seal and be done with it.
As always I looking for your knowledge on this topic.
Thanks!
Wes

Posted on: 2017/12/2 0:02
 Top  Print   

Re: 47 Windsheild Seal
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
For those that have had problems with the Steele WS weatherstrip and to a lesser extent the rear glass, it is on V8s where it has to support the large single piece wrap around glass as well as hold the front outer chrome. The weight of the glass wants to roll the soft weatherstrip so it moves down and out of the retaining flange at the top and distorts the chrome retaining slits letting the chrome pop loose. Cli55er had a fit problem in the rear with his 55 but I don't remember exactly what it was

The 47 front and rear glass is small and flat and weatherstrip is a fairly simple extrusion in comparison to the V8 item so Steele's 47 product should not be a problem if the rubber is softer. It might even be a help when rolling the outer edge over the body flange during installation. Kanter also has the 47 weatherstrip.

Posted on: 2017/12/2 0:49
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Water leaking in and sitting in contact with painted metal, leads to corrosion in the window channel area, which will bulge and leak further. So I'd carefully dry it out and take care of it, rather than fix rust later assuming it's not already gone.
If it's an original seal that's hardened but not cracked, I'd wipe it periodically with a little silicone spray. That will keep it somewhat pliable and hydrophobic. If weather cracked, either you have to fix/seal it or replace so it's weather tight. It could be leaking under the gasket or threw it, so all paths need to be sealed.
If you choose repair, you can sparingly use the black urethane adhesive they use on windows these days. It's just a real messy proposition, but with patience and technique, you should get some reasonable result. (Don't just glob it on. Use masking. Try to get it under the two contact surfaces not just laying on top, so it doesn't show. Talk to an auto glass shop) I'd stay away from DIY silicone caulks. Replacing, you also have to make sure it's the right dimension for your glass, not just for a '47.

There's a dilemma here, if Steele has a "problem", it needs to get to them to be resolved, not whispered about online with continued innuendo about possible causes. Were unfortunately at the mercy of a limited repro industry. So they and we have a vested interest, if they want to stay in business and we want product that fits our needs. Can't know until it's investigated.

Posted on: 2017/12/2 12:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Yes, corrosion is my biggest concern. So thanks for the insight.
Wes

Posted on: 2017/12/3 2:58
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Loui
See User information
We bought Steele weather strip for the 42 clipper windshield. Not sure about the fit it's almost as if the weather strip comes out around the chrome to far. There is a notch on centre chrome bar and not much stainless around the windshield showing. See photos

Attach file:

jpeg  (179.18 KB)
40258_5a24124f17199.jpeg 1920X1434 px

jpeg  (157.72 KB)
40258_5a241265a56a5.jpeg 1641X1226 px

jpeg  (183.82 KB)
40258_5a241278c7918.jpeg 1641X1226 px

Posted on: 2017/12/3 10:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I am a bit confused on the placement of your chrome strips. On my 47 it fits between the outer edge of weatherstrip and the middle. Even though my weatherstrip is hard as a rock it doesn't leak and glass is good so I didn't remove my front glass to know exactly how the chrome is attached but maybe Wes can provide more info when he does his. Is that dark line down the middle I see in your second photo a slit in the Steele weatherstrip to mount the upper edge of the chrome? If not, is there a slit on the opposite side of the weatherstrip?

Attach file:

jpg  (38.54 KB)
209_5a24274c2fe3d.jpg 1280X317 px

jpg  (87.36 KB)
209_5a24286c077a5.jpg 1280X805 px

Posted on: 2017/12/3 11:33
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Loui
See User information
The chrome skids over the windshield pinch weld the the weather strip goes over the chrome. Your car has a lot more stainless showing. The slit close to centre post is where the rubber is cut to make the weather strip smaller for the chopped top still have to shorten it more before bonding. It seems that the Steele weather strip raps around the outer edge more than the original. Thanks for the photos.

Posted on: 2017/12/3 12:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Interesting. Parts book says the chrome strips are the same for 42-7. The Steele weatherstrip must be huge in comparison to the factory item to have it be so bulky as to have that much rubber exposed and to make the division bar stick up that far to leave the bottom gap in the second photo. It looks better in the third photo so is that due to camera angle or after some tightening or more trimming for the chop? Anyone know if the Kanter weatherstrip is the same dimension as Steele?

Posted on: 2017/12/3 13:32
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Loui
See User information
The centre chrome is not tighten down but you can see the notch in the chrome for the weather strip. Steele's weather strip is far to bulky on the outside. Would be nice to know if anyone has used any other manufacturers weather strip.

Posted on: 2017/12/3 14:14
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved