Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
61 user(s) are online (35 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 61

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

oil filter, fuel pump lines, spark plugs, fan belts
Home away from home
Home away from home

Lonny
See User information
it would appear that my oil filter canister on my motor has been eliminated. is there a conversion that is available? the fuel lines that hook to the fuel pump are the line that comes from the tank to the sediment bowl top of fuel pump and top other side to carb. On bottom of fuel pump are they vacuum lines and if so where do they go? What would be the spark plugs number and type that go in a 1934 1101 320 cu. in engine and also the 2 fan belts on pulleys?

Posted on: 2018/3/28 17:40
 Top  Print   

Re: oil filter, fuel pump lines, spark plugs, fan belts
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The vacuum is used to power the windshield wipers, the Bijur chassis oiler, and the power brake booster. The vacuum source is the intake manifold with the fuel pump booster in series to provide vacuum during hard acceleration.

AutoLite 306 plugs are appropriate for this engine, available at most any decent auto parts outlet. (CORRECTION - 308, not 306)

The oil filter and oil heat exchanger is a unique one-year only arrangement for the 1934 Eight and Super Eight. Its a full-flow system new for 1934; the entire output of the pump goes first thru the filter and heat exchanger before it gets to the engine internals so it's vital to know what steps were taken when the filter was removed to maintain the full flow oil circuit to the main gallery without which you'll trash you engine. The filter is a Purolator L-6 (1 year only) and a repro is available from R&A which uses modern cartridges inside. In addition to the missing filter it would be helpful to what other parts of your system are missing or modified. One problem as the components have aged is the failure of the heat exchanger core, though it's easy to make a shunt to replace it.

As we now have multi-vis oils you can do without the heat exchanger but if the housing is missing and replaced with a cover plate you'll have to alter the baffling inside the water jacket plate or the rear cylinders will starve for coolant. Or replace the water jacket side plate with either an earlier or later style.

You can just continue on without an oil filter and change your oil more frequently, but this requires modifications to maintain the oil flow to the galleries. You say your canister is missing, how has your oil flow been re-routed?

Fan belts are Gates 11A0990; not essential but get a matched set if you can.

I suggest you take time to read thru the 1934 Service Letters which gives a good overview of the new oiling system for the 11th Series. It will be easier to discuss it with you when you have some good understanding of it.

Posted on: 2018/3/28 18:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
We have just completed a very faithful reproduction of the '35-'36 fuel pump flex line, I'll post a link to our website when it is ready to market.

Attach file:

jpg  (83.15 KB)
129_5abce8380490b.jpg 1920X709 px

Posted on: 2018/3/29 8:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
Nice looking REPRO
Assume certified for use in ethanol fuel ?
Whats the $$$$$$

LIGHT CAME ON and im thinking this repro Hose is 35/36 8-su. Not 33/34 8-su.
BUT ive been wrong before.
Someone tell me im wrong.

Posted on: 2018/3/29 9:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Lonny
See User information
from the oil pressure unit on the side of block are 2 lines that go to the heatexchanger one on the side and one on the bottom. thank you all for the help

Posted on: 2018/3/29 10:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
OK, the line that goes to the bottom of the heat exchanger is where the oil filter would be placed, and the line from the side of the heat exchanger back to the pressure relief valve is the return to the engine's main oil galleries. Unlike the L-8 filter used from 1935 thru 1939 on the seniors, the L-6 terminates at both ends in female NPT.

Attach file:

jpg  (120.14 KB)
177_5abd264e5007e.jpg 600X894 px

Posted on: 2018/3/29 12:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Lonny
See User information
thank you for the information. I will order the services letters. It looks like someone has plumbed the oil lines without the canister. Would you know how to test the oil pressure regulator and what the pressure should be?

Posted on: 2018/3/29 20:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
There are two pressure relief valves within that unit, the main one (adjustable behind the large nickel plated acorn nut) which should be set so pressures won't exceed about 55 psi, and a second one to permit flow to the main galley if the filter becomes restricted.

Your Owner's Manual states what typical pressures should be. Read it for yourself but IIRC it says something like (edited) 25-55 psi hot at normal driving speeds and at least 2 psi at hot idle. My 34 does give 40 psi cruising at 40-45 mph with SAE 30 oil, a bit lower if I push the speed higher, and about 15-20 psi at hot idle.

Posted on: 2018/3/29 20:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Lonny
See User information
thank you very much for the information

Posted on: 2018/3/30 9:27
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved