Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
236 user(s) are online (149 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 236

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1940 Super 8
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

scott12180
See User information
A while ago I bought a 1938 Super 8 1603. Nice original car but I soon learned that the engine blocks in the 38 Super 8's are prone to cracking. And, from others experience, if they weren't cracked now they probably will if you intend to drive the car. Anyway. . . .

A 1940 180 has come up which I'm interested in.

Are there any concerns to be aware of in this model and vintage? I'd like to know what I'd be getting into before I have that sinking feeling once the car is in my garage.

--Scott
Troy, NY

Posted on: 2018/7/19 7:07
 Top  Print   

Re: 1940 Super 8
Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
The 356 is a very sound engine, perhaps the finest American production engine of its time. The column shifter can have fiddley issues with wear. If it has hydraulic windows and seats, those can be a bit of a pain to sort out.

Posted on: 2018/7/19 8:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
One of the best classics for touring. A look of the '30s with features of the '40s. Hydraulic lifters and brakes. Powerful, smooth-running engine.

The 356 Super 8 block was used from '40-'50 (with no production during the war). Easy to get parts. Like 4 different heads available to change compression.

Posted on: 2018/7/19 16:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Quote:

bkazmer wrote:
The 356 is a very sound engine, perhaps the finest American production engine of its time. The column shifter can have fiddley issues with wear. If it has hydraulic windows and seats, those can be a bit of a pain to sort out.

No hydraulic windows in 1940.

Posted on: 2018/7/20 13:12
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DrMorbius
See User information
"I soon learned that the engine blocks in the 38 Super 8's are prone to cracking"...............................
This is the first I've heard of this tidbit of info. Since they are so similar to the '37 and '39 blocks does that mean those 320 cu in blocks have the same problem?

I'm surprised, if true, Packard engines had such a major problem because that is major. I've always considered Packard having the best engines over it's competitors.

Steve

Posted on: 2018/7/29 16:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
There are 2 different 1938 super 8 blocks: the ones that are cracked and the ones that are fixing to crack. Its pretty well known fact about the 38 super 8 blocks.

Posted on: 2018/7/29 17:58
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DrMorbius
See User information
So it's basically only the '38 Super 8 blocks?

Posted on: 2018/7/29 22:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DrMorbius
See User information
Never mind, Owen filled me in about the history of '38 Super 8 blocks!

Posted on: 2018/7/29 22:54
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved