Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
222 user(s) are online (159 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 218

RCJ56, tsherry, Don B, didatelogg, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 »

Re: Hood Ornaments in '55 & '56
Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
The hood ornament is similar but not the same as 55 Packard the hood contour is different as are the part numbers . But the Packard letters on the front of the hood are the same part number on the Packards and Packard Bakers as are the tail lights numbers the same.

Posted on: 2009/2/9 19:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
With Stude-Packard struggling, I find it hard to believe they would retool a hood ornament for the '57 Packard. It seems they were digging through the over stock to hang parts on Studes. But if it is a slight difference it might have been cheaper to modify tooling.

Posted on: 2009/2/9 19:14
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

michael keller
See User information
Oops, you are right with the hood ornament...

I just wonder if the Russians paid roalties for the chrome strips on front fender tips - they also appear on the 1959+ ZIL-111 and GAZ-13 "Tshaika"...

Posted on: 2009/2/9 20:38
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

michael keller
See User information
Huh, who did that?!

55PackardGuy, although I saw photos of an Executive with the 374 engine in "Collectible Automobiles" I was not aware that this was a regular engine option. Sales brochure also just lists the 352 engine.

Does an option list for these cars exist besides the accessory leaflet for all '56 Packards?

BTW: Your avatar reminded me at that...

It's a Tootsie Toys '55 Packard Patrician. Although it does not exactly meet the original proportions, I looked long to find one. At last I got this one by eBay...

Attach file:

jpg  (12.45 KB)
80_4993dbf845f27.jpg 400X266 px

Posted on: 2009/2/12 3:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
michaelk -

The 374-cid engine was NOT a regular production option for the Executive, but there was one example that I know of that was built with the Caribbean version of that powerplant. Yet, that only happened after a lot of effort on the part of the original buyer. Perhaps this is the car to which you are referring. It was a hardtop, painted Norwegian Forest over Dover White. It was also fitted with dark green leather upholstery and (IIRC) had a radio delete order.

When the car resurfaced in the late 1980s, with very low mileage, it was reported by more than one of the hobby publications (outside of club circles) and the special build was well-documented with original correspondence between the buyer and the factory. However, I heard that the car required a total repaint before it was eventually sold. I believe it is now in the hands of a Packard collector in NJ.

As for options, Packard published (and updated) a list of factory-installed, optional equipment in their confidential Trade Letters to dealers - documents which are seldom seen now. Thanks to some copies provided to me, I was able to compile a pair of tables that show option availability, by model, for the 55th and 56th Series. Those tables are available for download in the site archives, but you should consider them copyrighted property of the site - not for publication elsewhere. As a mid-year entry, I had to go with my personal experience with the Executive, but I later received a copy of a factory letter that fully-covered those models and revised the charts to update a couple of points.

BTW, some production options were also available as dealer-installed accessories (ordered through Packard's part warehouses) as listed in the parts book, but some dealer-installed accessories were not available for installation in production.

Engine availability on Packards was not a matter of optional equipment, but specific to each model. See the Model Info section, here, for details on engine usage.

Posted on: 2009/2/12 10:14
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

michael keller
See User information
Wow, that's what I call profond information.

Thank you very much!

Posted on: 2009/2/12 16:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just check the motor number, stamped on the flat up front near the base of the oil filler tube. If it doesn't match the vehicle number, the motor has been replaced.

Posted on: 2009/2/12 18:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Thanks for the clarification, Brian. Although I had heard of 374 ci Executives, I did not know they were that rare of a special order. A numbers-matching 374 Exec would be a real find.

Executive production was quite low, but they were apparently a good seller. According to Kimes they sold out, but only 2815 were produced. I also read that when they came out, they replaced the Clipper Custom, which was discontinued.

Posted on: 2009/2/13 14:11
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
See also this thread:

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=2249&forum=3

...for some related posts I made yesterday, 2/10 - specifically that of 18:39:02

Posted on: 2009/2/13 14:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Esquires have been discussed on these pages quite a few times; there are several good articles on them in back issues of The Packard Cormorant. They were a dealer-conversion, done by DuBois. Perhaps if you use the "search" feature you can locate those posts.

Re a 374 engine in an Executive, I'm dubious that it could be authentic, but confirmation of it's authenticity would be an engine# that matches the vehicle number. Can you establish this? It would be nice to know for certain that this was done.

Posted on: 2009/2/13 15:03
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved