Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
207 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 206

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Re: Mechanix Illustrated Tests the 52 Packard (New Article)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Loyd Smith
See User information
I find this article extremely interesting, not only for Mr. Cahill's contemporary impressions of the 1952 Packard 300 that he tested, and how well it stacked up against its competition but for his viewpoint on government and corporate entities, "dictating," what products consumers should have available to purchase with their own money.

His reference to a, "pre-inflation $1,000 bill," will undoubtedly be confusing to modern readers as a majority of them are not aware that our government once trusted the population in general to possess currency in denominations larger than $100

Posted on: 2009/2/11 10:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, that was enjoyable reading. Perhaps we forget how competitive those machines were at the time. But Uncle Tom made a significant error when he stated that vacuum power brakes were new to American cars and long overdue. He was no doubt unaware that many of the prewar seniors had vacuum power brakes, as did some other luxury makes.

A bit off the topic but I've always had a bit of a fascination with the power brake system Pierce Arrow used for a few years, it's derivation was European, perhaps Daimler. It use was with mechanical (cable) brakes. The system used a large disc on the driveline (back of the transmission) with an attached friction disc not entirely unlike a clutch disc. When you applied the brake you essentially brought the two together and the force of the stationary disc trying to rotate was applied to the brake linkage. The neat advantage was the faster you went, the more the boost. I believe the Pierces that use this system can be identified by a brake pedal shaped in the outline of a footprint and very close to the floorboard. Perhaps someone will come along and remind me of the patent holder or inventor of this system, I've long since forgotten. It's a bit of an odd sensation when you drive one of these Pierces because at very low speeds you have almost no power boost and thus need a bit more pedal pressure; then you cruise along and forgetfully apply a similar pressure and damn near impale yourself on the steering column.

Posted on: 2009/2/11 12:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Quote:
But Uncle Tom made a significant error when he stated that vacuum power brakes were new to American cars and long overdue.

I agree. I don't know when power breaks appeared on American cars but I had a 1935 Cadillac that had vacuum assisted mechanical breaks.

Posted on: 2009/2/11 12:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
I'm not sure about others, but, even the 33 101 had vacuum assist.

Posted on: 2009/2/11 22:15
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Rolls Royce used the power brakes driven by a clutch disc on the transmission. I doubt they originated this design, they never originated anything and were proud of it.

I think they copied it from Hispano Suiza.

This design was expensive and complicated to make, and as you point out, the assist was not constant but was related to the car's speed and, in reverse, gave no assist at all!

In the end the vacuum system proved better and cheaper.

Posted on: 2009/2/11 22:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Owen

The clutch brake booster system was a Mark Brigkit (Hispano Suiza) patent. Rolls Royce was the best known licensee . RR started to pay royalties on it when they went to four wheel brakes in 1923. Henry Royce would never duplicate effort to dodge someone else's patent if he thought it was sound. It was used by RR until the end of the SIlver Cloud era as their cars used a dual hydraulic /mechanical system like Hudson.

I was unaware that Pierce system was the same.

Regards

JHH

Posted on: 2009/2/11 23:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
LLoyd

I think the "choice"comment was a dig at Cadillac. They were charging for the Hydramatic but you couldn't get a manual transmission.

Regards

JHH

Posted on: 2009/2/11 23:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Ah yes, Hispano. Thanks John for triggering my memory.

Posted on: 2009/2/11 23:29
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved