Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
261 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 260

64avanti, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 35 36 37 (38) 39 40 41 ... 195 »

Re: Henry's 55 Constellation
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
thanks dude.....that was what Micheal had...this minnilla folder thing with fold out pages that had schematics of the suspension and it said yellow, but if you go back in my blog....it is obviously green and blue..

i wonder if one was a replacement bar and it was that color to indicate replacement.

yellow doesn't fade to green i don't think.

later,

Hank

Posted on: 2009/3/25 11:50
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Ah yes, the manila folder book! I'd completely forgotten about that. In re-reading it it's apparent that the color daubs were just a second way of identifying whether the bar was for the left or right side of the car (in addition to the arrow stamped into the end of the bar). Green & clockwise arrow is the right (passenger) side, yellow and counterclockwise arrow is the left (driver) side.

Posted on: 2009/3/25 13:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
yeah, they did have the arrows and they were in the right direction, but it is weird that one of mine was not the supposed factory color.

as you can see the green one is on the passenger's side as you can tell by the area of the car it is on in the picture. the small bar orientation gives it away.

but, the other side, driver's, is obviously blue.....weird stuff. there is no way that yellow turned into blue over the years.

so, the big question is....whether or not to paint it like the manual says or to paint it like it was on the car? i can just hear the scrutiny when people see it painted blue and then i will have to tell that was the way it was and then they will not believe me....LOL!

Attach file:

jpg  (36.97 KB)
491_49ca854a92a65.jpg 600X450 px

jpg  (25.79 KB)
491_49ca8556cb84c.jpg 600X450 px

Posted on: 2009/3/25 14:18
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
then again this a very early, March, 1955...could they have started out with blue in the beginning.....ah....another one of those things you can't just ask the company and is very fun to ponder. ;0) I LOVE THIS CAR!

Posted on: 2009/3/25 14:31
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Are you kidding me? The only people who will know the marking colors are you and the people you tell.

Posted on: 2009/3/25 15:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
maybe you forgot.....i am taking the chassis to salado this saturday....i think they may look at it.

p.s. i was, i don't really care wtf they think ;0)

now, if the car was done.....yeah....good luck seeing it without me raising the car up and putting a bunch of mirrors under it like those low riders at the conventions...and that ain't happening....

Posted on: 2009/3/25 15:44
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
i can just hear the scrutiny when people see it painted blue and then i will have to tell that was the way it was and then they will not believe me....LOL!

what Owen said........ I'd bet amongst Packard folks, the vast majority have heard of torsion bars, most have seen pictures of the setup, but many have never laid eyes on an actual one.

Paint it blue, and if anyone calls you on it, say you cut yourself & bled on it and come from a long line of blue blooded aristocrats or your wife happens to like blue & thought it would look good & you didn't want to sleep in the garage.

Posted on: 2009/3/25 16:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
HH56 wrote:
Quote:

Paint it blue, and if anyone calls you on it, say you cut yourself & bled on it and come from a long line of blue blooded aristocrats or your wife happens to like blue & thought it would look good & you didn't want to sleep in the garage.

I don't know HH56, from all the work Henry's been doing on his car lately I'd bet he HAS been living & sleeping in the garage!

Posted on: 2009/3/25 17:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Hmmmmmm-good point there.. Hadn't thought of that.

Posted on: 2009/3/25 17:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
yeah, i feel like i might as well be sleeping in there right now. it sux...i am surely taking a good break after this.

looks like the Saturday weather might be crappy...as long as it doesn't rain i will take it with me, but man if after all this i can't take it i will be a bit disappointed. the work wasn't for nothing, but this Salado was part of the reason to get it done quicker. i hope it doesn't rain on my parade.

anyways, sorry for the crappy pics, but my cell phone is all i had this morning on the way out and it sux bad. you can see at least that the Eagle has half way landed. i am alittle concerned about the upper a-arms smashing the upper rebound bumpers to bits, but they were cheap, so i can always order new ones if i needed too later when i get more weight on the frame. with this humidity lately it has a been a turd getting the paint to dry in timely manner, but i was patient and didn't touch it for a day or so, which it was dry by then.

i had 4 guys, count it FOUR guys on my frame last night and all that weight, about 800 pounds or so, couldn't budge the torsion bars up enough for me to pull the pins from the hangers to let them down. So, my friend backed up his big ass suburban and i put some towels over the frame and jacked the frame up to the rear bumper of his truck. then used another jack to raise the lower a arm to get the torsion bar up. this worked, but even that lifted his suburban in the air a bit. i was suprised! anyways, i got everything together now, but i have to borrow the suburban again as the base plate with the rubber underneath came out of the hole, didn't have the clip on yet, so when i let the tension down i had to try to bet it back in the hole with a pry bar.....this worked fine, but the rubber underneath didn't move and so the base plate is now smashing the rubber in the wrong way. so, i will again attempt to use the suburban to rehang that side so i can fix the rubber piece. it probably isn't that big of a deal, but it is bothering me.

i also noticed that the lower outer bushing pin that i used from MAX (mine was bad and worn down) is longer than the original i had on the other side. even the worn original and the other lower pin from MAX i didn't use is shorter too. it doesn't look like there are hardly any threads showing on the original one.....should i be concerned about that....i know the lock washer is on there, but i was just thinking i since have to redo that side, i can just us the lower pin from MAX and have more thread sticking out.

you will also notice i put the pins in backwards. i didn't like the grease-certs facing the front of the car where dirt, etc....can slam into it. i don't know if that matters, but it seems to work fine. the only thing i have noticed is that the backing plate on the passenger's side, where i used the MAX lower pin, hits the pin, but not on the driver's side where it is shorter. i know the wheel will only turn so far side to side, but i don't know how far and i don't want to have it hitting that lower pin all the time, since that is probably not good either.

thoughts.....???

thanks and enjoy the crappy photos ;0)

Hank

Attach file:

jpg  (47.22 KB)
491_49cb8acd22b70.jpg 576X768 px

jpg  (44.77 KB)
491_49cb8ad413097.jpg 576X768 px

jpg  (40.01 KB)
491_49cb8ad946220.jpg 576X768 px

jpg  (41.78 KB)
491_49cb8ade30e81.jpg 576X768 px

jpg  (45.58 KB)
491_49cb8ae2d21e6.jpg 576X768 px

jpg  (79.70 KB)
491_49cb8ae7d7f63.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (60.84 KB)
491_49cb8afbe6f88.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (41.76 KB)
491_49cb8b01b79c2.jpg 576X768 px

Posted on: 2009/3/26 9:02
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 35 36 37 (38) 39 40 41 ... 195 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved