Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
108 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 107

Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Re: When I hit the pedal it cuts the power on my 1949 22 series
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

1949 Super 8 DeLuxe
See User information
Quote:

Dave O wrote:
Sorry; I forgot to mention. On main menu this site, go into the Literature Archive. Then select wiring Diagrams. There is a full wiring diagram for your car listed there. You can follow the wires and see which ones are part of the starting function of you car.

Dave O

Thanks man. I keep googling it and getting different years. I forget how to find something and I'm useless.

Posted on: 2023/4/12 15:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
8AWG wire would be overkill for the solenoid wire! In any event, I have never had any trouble with any Carter carburetor starter switches so it may just needs to be disassembled and cleaned. If done and while it’s off, spray some carburetor cleaner into the hole to be sure that the actuator ball is free. I’ve not worked on one for some time but also be sure the ball doesn’t fall out when the switch is removed and there is also a relatively small spring to watch for.

Having said that, I’m not so sure that’s where the problem is. As others have said, it sounds like a problem with the battery itself so before chasing phantoms, take it in to be checked which may mean leaving it there for the day. Napa will do it for you if you have one nearby. Quick checks may tell you something but the deep discharge tests are far better but take time.

Posted on: 2023/4/12 16:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information

There are various wire gauge / ampacity charts out there. 14ga wire is good for up to 15A-ish, which is nearly everything in the car. Generally the only wires sized above 14 or 16 ga are the ignition battery wire, the bat and arm wires off the voltage regulator, and anything on the fuse block with a fuse more than 15A. Maybe a few more things in a 6V car that I'm not thinking of.

And obviously the main battery wires.

Posted on: 2023/4/12 17:15
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

1949 Super 8 DeLuxe
See User information
Thank you guys. I know some don't advise it but this is my daily driver. I drive 2 miles a day but I have to be able to get the kids to practice and everytime I interact with you guys i gain confidence in what I'm doing.

Attach file:

jpg  20230313_151913.jpg (205.27 KB)
225619_6437302ddd63e.jpg 1920X865 px

Posted on: 2023/4/12 17:26
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

1949 Super 8 DeLuxe
See User information
Will have NAPA check both my new battery and an old backup Thursday. There are several issues I've had that could be blamed on this battery.

Posted on: 2023/4/12 17:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Quote:
Thank you guys. I know some don't advise it but this is my daily driver. I drive 2 miles a day but I have to be able to get the kids to practice and everytime I interact with you guys i gain confidence in what I'm doing.

Nothing wrong with that! I used to drive Packards as everyday cars too although not always the same one. There was a couple in the Packard Club who had only Packards (his and hers) so when the Nor Cal region had a Brand X get together at a member’s home in San Jose, CA, they had to drive one of their Packards! They had a 1947 Super Eight touring sedan (his) and a 1955 Panama (hers) but also a 1955 or 1956 Four Hundred that he was restoring.

Posted on: 2023/4/12 18:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Yeah for the ones that are relatively cheap with parts available then there's not much difference in practicality in daily driving a 49 vs anything newer that's carbureted. Biggest concern for most is simply just road safety.

Hard to imagine daily driving a Packard from the 20's or before since parts are so scarce. Better to go with a Ford Model A if you want to go back that far, as long as you are comfortable with the gas tank built into the dash (again, such a difference in safety as you get newer)!

Posted on: 2023/4/12 20:02
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kunzea
See User information
Why not drive it daily? I drive my 51 200 business coupe {2498} practically everyday. 1400 miles since July 18 2022. There was a stretch of about 6 weeks where I couldn't drive it while I got the radiator worked out (new substitute).

Posted on: 2023/4/14 9:01
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

1949 Super 8 DeLuxe
See User information
Ok the battery was cleared by NAPA and it's not the issue. Would have loved for that to be the problem.

I have rewired the carb starter to the solenoid and got the exact same issue. I also upgraded both the connections to the carb starter just in case.

Not sure where else to check.

Im about to try the suggestion above about putting a 50 Amp fuse in line with the wire going from the generator to the solenoid. But not untill I fully understand the suggestion so explanations welcome.

Posted on: 2023/4/19 19:32
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

1949 Super 8 DeLuxe
See User information
Quote:

JeromeSolberg wrote:
you can connect a wire direct from a pushbutton 50-amp switch under the dash to the solenoid. You can disconnect the carb starter and just use that. Or you can keep the carb starter if it proves to be good, and have both. Sometimes it's useful to have the pushbutton switch even when the carb starter switch is working.

This. I need to better understand this. I'll do my research but any further details would be sweeeeet.

Posted on: 2023/4/19 19:36
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved