Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
200 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 199

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

odometer reset shaft
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

inews
See User information
Is there an extension shaft or cable that can be attached to the odometer rest shat to make it easier to access for resetting

Posted on: 2023/6/17 18:22
 Top  Print   

Re: odometer reset shaft
Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
I haven't found mine yet.

Posted on: 2023/6/17 18:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you mean something that attaches to the short reset knob positioned directly on the back of some of the speedometers, I would be surprised if there will be anything found either Packard or aftermarket that could be added on.

One possibility if Packard used speedos in the prewar years that are enough alike for the back cover and mechanism to be about the same would be to swap the cover and reset mechanism with one from another year or model speedometer that used the flex cable setup. Unless the same basic speedo had both options, even that may not work and a speedo shop would probably need to do the work.

Another possibility that would upset the purists but not be too expensive is if there is a reasonably straight shot down to the dash edge and if the reset knob does not need to be pulled or pushed to engage the reset mechanism is maybe add a set of right angle gears. As long as the knob did not need to push or pull you could fabricate a small bracket setup that would attach to the speedo back to support the top end of a vertical shaft and would also keep gears in mesh. Use a set of miniature brass bevel or worm gears such as those available from Amazon that are used in model cars or robotics. One gear would go on the reset knob shaft in place of the knob, and the other on a second shaft that dropped down to a point where you could attach another bracket to the dash for support. Place a more convenient knob on that shaft. Even if the drop is not straight down there are some small flexible drive shafts used in model boat power trains that might be able to be used.

Posted on: 2023/6/18 14:53
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I am trying to understand why you would need to reset your odometer. In some states that is not exactly legal.

Posted on: 2023/6/20 9:26
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I took the question to mean is there something that can be added for an easier way to reset the trip odometer on one of the lower end speedos where you have to reach under the dash to find the back of the speedometer and that reset knob.

Attach file:

jpg  37 speedo.jpg (246.69 KB)
209_6491bd04cace4.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2023/6/20 9:52
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Ahh gotcha. None of my Packards (54 or 37) have a trip meter.

Posted on: 2023/6/20 9:54
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
‘40 160 speedometer with upper odometer window and lower resetable trip odometer window, plus reset cable which inserts in a hole in the bottom edge of the dash.

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_2618.jpeg (169.14 KB)
1067_6492021f4c935.jpeg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2023/6/20 14:46
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved