Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
210 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 209

CartRich, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: 359 Noisy Lifters
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Kev makes a good point. The flow thru the filter should be restricted to around 10-12% of total volume available at the bottom port on the block. If there is a chance filter components could have been swapped from other engines be sure to check that there is a restriction somewhere.

After the first early filter plumbing redesign a restriction was added to the supply side fitting at the inlet (bottom port) of the prewar filters. Later revisions had the restriction at a special 4 way block on the port feeding the filter. Both of those restrictions consisted of a fitting with a 5/64" diameter hole at an opening. Some 4 way fittings were special factory made with the restriction built in at the tubing port but later versions were ordinary unrestricted store fittings. In those, rather than trying to modify the 4 way, the method of using an elbow fitting at the canister modified by filling the end with solder and drilling the 5/64 hole thru the solder was used or in later postwar cars, by use of a different filter canister.

Postwar filters made a canister change. Filters have the inlet on the side and either the restricted 4 way block fitting or in later canisters, small holes drilled fairly low down in the center tube of the canister. The small holes act as the restriction on that type. On the 4 way fittings, if one tubing port is smaller it has the restricted fitting so make sure that side is the one going to the filter. If it is the unrestricted type check for the restriction in the canister pipe or at a fitting.

Posted on: 2023/7/3 13:45
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Eric Voigt
See User information
Howard/Kev;

I think we might be on to something.

In the attached photo, the four way fighting on the left is what was on the engine and both sides are restricted to 5/64" (#47 bit) (filter side and feed to the lifter valley) and four way on the right is one I pulled from my stash and it too is restricted on both sides. Interesting, hmmm.

I'm wondering if we should open the restriction to the valley feed based on your comments.
Regards,
Eric

Attach file:

jpg  710108329.jpg (338.14 KB)
226290_64a32f2e69d6a.jpg 1200X1600 px

Posted on: 2023/7/3 15:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
If this is a 359, it has the incorrect head too but you probably already know that.

Posted on: 2023/7/3 16:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
The 4-way fitting measurements you report below is is the same as what I have on my car, 1953 Cavalier - which is what came with it when I bought it. The lifters were quiet then.

Posted on: 2023/7/3 16:30
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Eric Voigt
See User information
As for the cylinder head, customer directed to use the 327 head from his 53 Caribbean which the 359 is going in

Posted on: 2023/7/3 16:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
One relatively easy way you could test the possibility of too much oil thru the filter as the issue would be to temporarily disconnect the filter and install a 1/4" inverted flare plug in the filter side outlet of the 4 way fitting. All oil would then be forced into the lifter gallery circuit and if things quieten, look to not having enough filter restriction.

If still noisy then look to something with the lifters, stem clearance, or maybe something blocking full flow or possibly even a plug loose or missing allowing oil to escape too easily.

On the head, only certain cast iron heads are interchanges for the aluminum 359. If someone remembers the specific heads Ross posted, please repost the info as I don't have it. Those that interchange can be used with hi octane fuel and tweaking the timing but others won't because it will be all but impossible to get rid of pinging.

Just for grins, here is an illustration showing the oiling system. Their drawing only shows the 5 mains but 9 mains are the same except there will be the additional horizontal runs to each main bearing. For anyone interested, on an unknown engine count the number of exposed 1/8" plugs on the main gallery running along the length of the engine to quickly see whether it is a 5 or 9 main engine.

Attach file:

jpg  oil path.jpg (232.50 KB)
209_64a34d0718f49.jpg 1920X1301 px

Posted on: 2023/7/3 17:33
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Here's the link to the head interchange chart. All the heads interchange but they produce varying compression ratios.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=25667&post_id=246062#forumpost246062

Posted on: 2023/7/3 17:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

JeromeSolberg wrote:
This is the chart that shows what fits and what compression ratio results:

288/327/356/359 head interchange chart

Right, and that is an excellent list. What I am referring to is a post Ross made a few years back where he mentioned a few specific heads and the markings on them that he has found will work with only minor tweaks. He also mentioned some he suggested staying away from because of the pinging issue.

Posted on: 2023/7/3 17:59
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
After checking back in after an exciting day of making work for folks at work, I see the easy answer - wasn't. I'm inclined to agree with blocking off the filter and seeing what remains.

Intuitively, it seems more like a flow issue than a lifter issue, Waiting for what solves it.

Posted on: 2023/7/3 18:49
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Eric Voigt
See User information
It will be couple of days before I can provide an update as I was fighting starter engagement issues and found the teeth on the ring gear to be bad and pulled the flywheel to hopefully replace the ring gear.

I've been studying the oil flow diagram (colorized version) and I'm puzzled as to why they would restrict the oil flow in the 4-way fitting to the valley. I'm going to run a scope through the port and see if I can identify any possible restrictions before I experiment with opening up the restrictor on the opposite side of the oil filter restrictor.

Thanks again for all the input

Posted on: 2023/7/4 10:16
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved