Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
143 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 143

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: 53 288 will not fire
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
In the literature section is the Igniton Training Manual which goes over the entire ignition system including troubleshooting

Posted on: 2023/7/6 19:45
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tall Steve
See User information
Ok, I disconnected the positive lead from the distributor. Pulled coil wire from rotor cap. Turned key to on position. Touched coil wire to block. Nothing. Decided to check continuity of coil wire…5-10 ohm! Not what I expected to read, but I haven’t ever measured that wire before. Thoughts?

Posted on: 2023/7/6 19:49
Even the most difficult situations can be learning situations.

1953 Packard Clipper
1957 Chevrolet BelAir
2004 Chevrolet Corvette
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I do not have a stock coil to check but Napa IC-7 universal 6v coils measure 1.4-1.5 ohms across the + and - coil terminals and expect stock coils would be similar.

If you measured yours right at the coil, to have that high a number I suspect you have a bad coil or possibly it could be a 12v coil with an internal ballast resistor. If your measurement included the connecting wire then possibly a bad connection at a wire terminal or damaged wire.

Posted on: 2023/7/6 20:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
One thing of note is that your car is positive ground so the negative side of the coil should be connected to the ignition and the positive side to the coil. Presuming that’s correct, the conversation will be clearer if you referred to ignition or distributor sides rather than positive or negative sides.

Posted on: 2023/7/7 17:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tall Steve
See User information
Update: replaced condenser. Car started right up. I am pretty sure that this is the first dead in the water condenser I have ever had. Appreciate all the input and suggestions

Posted on: 2023/7/15 13:05
Even the most difficult situations can be learning situations.

1953 Packard Clipper
1957 Chevrolet BelAir
2004 Chevrolet Corvette
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Apparently it is happening more often as others have also reported bad condensers out of the box. What I find interesting is the high ohm coil measurement you mentioned. Without knowing how you measured, it could possibly be explained but if it was directly across the coil primary terminals with nothing else connected, then the coil you have has a considerably higher reading than would be expected for a 6v coil. Is you coil stock or aftermarket?

Posted on: 2023/7/15 13:19
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved