Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
224 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 224

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Packard V8s in Rolls Royce?
Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
A guy on another website is promulgating the idea that Packard V8s were used in Rolls Royce cars. I've never heard of this. Wiki says not so, and given Rolls extensive auto and aero engine experience it seems quite unlikely, though the general architecture of US V8s was no doubt studied. Was this a rumor at the time?

Posted on: 2023/8/12 10:13
56 Clipper Deluxe survivor
 Top  Print   

Re: Packard V8s in Rolls Royce?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I have never seen this mentioned anywhere. I think the only other mfgs to use the V8 was Studebaker, Nash and Hudson and that was only for around a year. S-P management decided to use a 352 and the Ultramatic in the 56 Golden Hawk and AMC bought the 55 320 and Ultramatic for use in a few of their higher end Nash and Hudson models before their own V8 was ready.

I believe RR did copy or maybe build under license the prewar Safe-T-Flex front suspension and used that for a few years. That is the only significant automotive item designed by Packard that I have ever read about them using.

Posted on: 2023/8/12 10:56
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Absolutely untrue!! How do folks come up with this kind of fantasy?

Posted on: 2023/8/12 13:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
Agreed, I thought as much. Evidently he was claiming to have read it in an article by Menno Duerksen (sp?) in "Cars & Parts" years ago. I kind of doubt a well known writer would make just make up or state such a thing without evidence so suspect the current pusher of this "info" has had a memory lapse or? who knows? He's also claiming some truth to the old Packard-ZIL/ZIS canard so the facts are evidently "alternative" ones in his case lol.

Posted on: 2023/8/12 14:16
56 Clipper Deluxe survivor
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I think the old prewar dies being used for the Russian models has been thoroughly debunked. Gusha is a frequent contributor on the site and has done extensive research on the ZIS and ZIL cars. I am sure he can give you correct info on those. It has also been mentioned in some books that the dies were stored outdoors during the war and that poor storage conditions also ruined many of the prewar dies.

Posted on: 2023/8/12 14:45
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Very kind of you, Howard (HH56), thank you very much. In this case it is probably not necessary at all, since the accuracy of the above-mentioned article by Menno Duerksen in "Cars & Parts" was questioned a decade ago. -> This way, please, to read the review.

Btw Welcome back Randerson, you were missed.

image source: National Packard Museum, Warren, OH

Attach file:

jpg  sales figures.jpg (33.91 KB)
757_64d7e9512f312.jpg 778X546 px

Posted on: 2023/8/12 15:19
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved