Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
144 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 143

Patrick, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1948 Custom series new tires
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Looking to buy a new set of tires for my 1948 Custom series. I know the correct size is 8.20 x 15, and I believe Packards came new with Firestone tires in this era. I plan on sticking with the original type bias ply tires with tubes. I believe these cars had “super cushion” tires when new. Is there a comparable new tire to these I can buy? I just don’t want to buy a tire that’s too narrow and doesn’t look right.

Posted on: 2023/8/18 8:23
 Top  Print   

Re: 1948 Custom series new tires
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I don't think you'll find Firestone branded bias tires, per se. Bridgestone bought them but there's people making them under license. such as:https://www.universaltire.com/firestone-tires/firestone-vintage-bias-ply-tires.html
Lots of other fish out there, Coker, Diamondback, etc. I don't recommend vendors.
If you're not familiar with rayon cord bias tires, I suggest you may not like the ride nor the longevity - just to be "correct". Bias look radials are available.
I don't think tubes are period, they should be tubeless, post war. My '49 is. cf: A 235 75 barely fits. 8.2" equals 208 mm, in metric sizes. 205 or 215 closest.
Tires don't last so avoid anything over 8 years old, if you find OEM. Ask Leno...

Posted on: 2023/8/18 8:59
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
What’s wrong with these?
From Coker’s website. 8.20 x 15 Firestone bias ply. They’re probably the same tire as from the Universal site you posted.

Attach file:

png  IMG_2132.png (860.72 KB)
709_64df7d9383504.png 473X1024 px

Posted on: 2023/8/18 9:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
That tire looks identical to the ones I often saw on older, larger cars when I was a kid.

Posted on: 2023/8/18 9:24
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I don't believe Packard went officially "tubeless" until 1954 with the introduction of the center drop safety rims.

But, many have run tubeless in earlier models without issues.

Posted on: 2023/8/18 10:21
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Whatever you get, be careful. According to Consumer Reports in 1948: "The Packard cars well-built, durable, heavy (tires are badly overloaded)...." Tom McCahill and others concurred.

Senior Packards like mine ran 7.00 x 15 through the last year Clippers, 1947, and such are still available in bias sized radials from Yokohama (a Canadian company). Those wanting whitewalls can buy these same tires from Diamond Back in South Carolina who merely vulcanize a not quite wide enough whitewall on them, for those liking gauche.

Those running 235/75Rs have reported rubbing in extreme lock turns, not the case with 215/75Rs but then these are smaller circumference, increasing rpm at a given road speed while not looking right, not filling the wheel well.

Posted on: 2023/8/18 16:24
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved