Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
216 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 215

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: gas milage
Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
My 53 Cavalier gets 14-15 mpg on a road trip. Driving 55-60 mph. (327 & Ultramatic) I'll check again next year as I just put new tires on. New tires may help a bit, but I don't expect it to get too much better. Have a carb rebuild kit to install as well, which may help. And I don't have the proper vacuum advance on my distributor right now, it's being rebuilt. So many projects!

Posted on: 2023/10/31 11:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DrMorbius
See User information
I had a 1954 Pacific and Caribbean with the 700R4 transmissions installed and went from 13-14 mpg to 21-22 mpg. Acceleration was improved also.

Steve

Posted on: 2023/10/31 13:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
In town driving eats gas. The OD is of little use in town, and the lower speed axle will reduce in town fuel economy a little, but improve driveability. Over about 30 MPH, the overdrive becomes a decided advantage. Most older cars give the best economy at 45-55 MPH open road driving with no adverse wind.

Posted on: 2023/10/31 13:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Tim Cole's right. Packard's ads touting fuel use no more than lesser cars were strictly bolshoi. The '51 200 i had long ago was 288 w/ Ultramatic, 3.9 axle. My understanding is late in the model year they went to 3.54:1 like the big 127" wb, 327-engined (a $50 option in the 200) 300, 400. Don't recall the figure, but it sucked, if Bart Simpson dialog allowed on this family site.

My '40 One-Twenty, 282, 4.09 instead of 4.36 for 2.95 in overdrive, running 32 psi Denman bias plies, once managed, i kid you not, double checked the arithmetic, 22.5 mpg, most of that Bay Area freeway driving, even 65 mph.

The respected Griff Borgeson, then Motor Trend's editor, reported a 4,375 lb. curb weight original, unmodified '51 Lincoln four-door sedan. 336-ci L-head V-8 truck engine, 7:1 compression, not only winning that year's Mobilgas Economy Run with a 3.31:1 rear end, 2.39 ratio overdrive for 25.488 mpg, but being a good performer over 1,000 miles of mountain, traffic, desert driving MT experienced.

1940 Packards were the lightest in Company history, lest you go back to the single and double-cylinder models through 1903.

My overdrive 356-c.i. '47 Super Clipper, as a friend recounted of his '41 Cad conv. after War II, will "pass everything but a gas station."

ps. Agree w/ Tim's earlier post about walking a mile in 22-degree weather to mail a letter. City planners have long used a mere 600 feet-- two short city blocks-- as the distance at which Americans instinctively reach for their car keys. Still wonder why a third of Americans not just fat, but clinically morbidly obese, along w/ what vegan exponent Dr. Joel Fuhrman calls SAD (standard American diet)?
I put more miles on my half-century-old 10-speed bike than my stick Civic two-door, which i only drive when it's raining or serious shopping, or we go in my squeeze's slick little Miata; let her deal w/ the loony drivers.

A lifelong Packard maven who's owned over 70 junior and senior, pre- and postwar since he in high school, i upon tricycle observes that many owning larger Packards of the '30s, '40s, often owned a smaller car for weekday, lesser errands, and i recall wealthy folks commuting on the train into Manhattan, never driving.

Attach file:

jpg  You're gaining on me.jpg (121.82 KB)
1673_6541d6f637f2d.jpg 797X1082 px

Posted on: 2023/10/31 23:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
This past summer, I drove through a full tank of fuel cruising on highways and country roads in my 53 carib. 359 9 main, 4bbl carb, overdrive and 4.10 :1 rear axle and was pleased to calculate 16 mpg. Cruising speed around 60 on the speedo, 55 with GPS. Short Trips eat gas.

Posted on: 2023/11/1 6:56
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
If your driving situation requires frequent braking, you're dumping fuel every time you apply the brakes. That fuel is gone, unlike going through hilly country, where you usually go down about as many hills as you go up. Driving into the wind at highway speeds eats fuel. If you can slow down 10 MPH, it will pay you to do so. Heaters and radios have little effect on fuel economy, but A/C can cut fuel economy substantially. An exception may be driving at highway speeds. It's been credibly asserted that driving at highway speeds with windows open consumes as much or more extra fuel than running the same speed with the windows up and the A/C on.

Posted on: 2023/11/1 11:15
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Rich49
See User information
Mine averages 10.42 Nautical Miles per gallon.

Posted on: 2023/11/3 8:24
 Top  Print   
Laugh (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

Rich49 wrote:
Mine averages 10.42 Nautical Miles per gallon.

US or Imperial Nautical Miles?

Posted on: 2023/11/3 9:08
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved