Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
171 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 168

Joe Santana, pmhowe, todd landis, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Coil Replacement -'37 120 sedan convertible
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dbedsole
See User information
After 4 years of restoration work, attempts to start the engine were not successful. The car was last started 4 years ago after installing - new plugs, wires, points, condenser, rotor, distributor cap - all new except the coil. But now it will not start.
The ammeter pointer oscillates from zero to approx. 3 amps discharge with ignition switch on and while starter motor is cranking the engine. No spark from removed plug -- this tells me that I may have a faulty ignition secondary circuit - bad coil. My question - will a six volt coil from NAPA be a suitable replacement?

Posted on: 2023/11/6 13:34
 Top  Print   

Re: Coil Replacement -'37 120 sedan convertible
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The universal Napa IC7 6v coil should work fine but there is no provision for handling the armored cable and wire from ign switch. If the wire inside the armor is not long enough to reach the new terminal you will need to extend it and then make some provision to protect and hold the wire and cup assy so it does not get damaged or cup and cable flops around and pulls the wire.

If the points were installed years ago they could have oxidized just from sitting. You might try to clean them with coarse grain kraft type paper or 600 grit sandpaper before condemning the coil.

Posted on: 2023/11/6 13:50
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dbedsole
See User information
Howard thanks for the response.

Posted on: 2023/11/6 14:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
Yes, check the points/condenser first as they wear out sooner than the coil. I would suggest new rotor, cap, plug wires and plugs to complete the tune-up and take all ignition issues away.
If however you do need to replace the coil, you can use a new universal 6V one like I did, I just ran a new armoured 10AWG wire from the start switch to the coil. I got the wire from Restoration Supply. (My car came with no ignition system, just a bare block, so I did not have the proper coil to start with)
It is not original but it works great.
Bob J.

Attach file:

jpg  completed plug wires.JPG (444.18 KB)
225215_654943df54455.jpg 2048X1536 px

Posted on: 2023/11/6 14:52
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
The behavior of the ammeter does suggest a bad coil secondary. It might be worthwhile to gently clean the points and check the gap, and replace the condenser. A bad condenser can prevent a good coil from working properly even if it is getting power when it should, as yours appears to be. I'd look carefully at the rotor, too.

Posted on: 2023/11/6 19:49
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved