Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
197 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 197

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Winshield Gasket - Again
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Okay Y'all,
I'm at a point where I need to be able to "seal" up my '55 Constellation so I can store parts (upholstery, etc.) inside the car, thus giving me room to work in the garage. Unfortunately, the car cannot fit in the garage due to a wall constructed by previous house owners, so it must stay in the driveway while I work on it. I'da like to be able to install all of the glass so I can protect the contents from the weather, but I don't want to install the "real" replacement gaskets until after the car is nearing completion. Has anyone used the generic windshield gaskets from J.C. Whitney, or any other product that costs less than the Steele replacement gaskets for the windshield and rear window? I have come to the conclusion that I will have to eventually spring for the $200+ each gaskets, from Steele, but I don't want to install them now, and take a chance on damaging them before the car is done.
Also, does anyone have a drawing, or photo, of the gasket "profile" for the OEM style gaskets (my glass was already removed when I bought the car and the remains of the seals are hard and brittle)?
Lastly, has anyone tried installing glass with the butyl seal used in modern cars, and if so, how easy is it to remove the glass after it has been in place for a while (6 months to 1 year).
Thanks,
John

Posted on: 2009/4/16 20:10
 Top  Print   

Re: Winshield Gasket - Again
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here's the gasket profile out of TB55T-34 re adding reinforcement to lower lip to prevent windshield falling down. Never tried generic so can't help on your question. Don't think the glass will reach the lip for the butyl. Watching a glass repair on my modern car, that stuff is so tenacious would really be concerned about removing glass without breaking & then scraping it clean & smooth enough to get a good seal with weatherstrip without damaging something..

Attach file:

jpg  (37.81 KB)
209_49e7de8c7973f.jpg 893X517 px

Posted on: 2009/4/16 20:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Thanks HH56 for the reply. I searched and could not find a profile picture, but I guess that just means I need to improve my searh techniques. I thought the seal had a locking strip (or is the "open" area in the roughly middle of the seal shown in the profile where the locking strip is)?

Posted on: 2009/4/17 13:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't remember precisely where it is but think interlocking grooves might be at the top of that "hollow or open" area.

Attach file:

jpg  (21.55 KB)
209_49e8c7f374876.jpg 486X398 px

Posted on: 2009/4/17 13:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
butyl will not work on our cars. it is basicly a rubber like glue. modern car's glass "glue" to a "pinch weld" that they over-lap. like HH56 said, the glass in our cars do not reach all the way to the body. My advice would be to buy a roll of "wreck wrap" from a good automotive paint store. use it in place of the front and rear glass to seal those areas, and them install the side glass back in the car.

Posted on: 2009/4/17 18:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Can you elaborate a little more on this "wreck wrap"?
Thanks

Posted on: 2009/4/17 21:57
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Its like a roll of high strength saran-wrap. Similar to what they wrap pallets with.

Posted on: 2009/4/17 22:03
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
Kinda, it is thicker than that and it is u-v resistant, to hold up to long periods of outdoor storage. it is also self-advesive. it was designed for insurance contracted body shops. when a can with broken glass came in it would have to be put inside to keep the interior from weather damage. most body shops don't have much inside storage space. so "wreck wrap" was developed to allow cars with broke glass to be stored outside for long periods.
i have three cars with it on them and it works really well. my 55 400 has had it over the back glass area for about a year to two years now and is hold up just fine.

Posted on: 2009/4/23 20:33
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved