Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
230 user(s) are online (166 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 229

CCR, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Re: 1956 Caribbean
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
As I recall the 1001 engine rebuild was done at the New Jersey shop while Mr. Book was still managing the project and prior to 1001 being shipped overseas for completion. If correct, your best option might be to contact John at Artisan Coachworks and see what details he might remember. I visited the shop often and regularly with Ole but primarily to oversee work on the 1955 Torsion Level demonstration chassis, the 1001 project was relatively inactive.

Posted on: 2023/11/18 17:52
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Packard Filip
See User information
Thank you for your reply, do you know what year this was? 5699-1210 was auctioned off 2021 from what I can tell. I believe the restoration of 5699-1001's frame and engine was done prior to this, but I'm not entirely sure. If it was before then I doubt the parts from 5699-1210 could have been used up for it.

Trouble is that 1210 was first on the islands Gothenburg here in the west, when the owner developed dementia all his cars were just sent outside as lease for the storage building expired or something like that. Then they were sent off for auction with sometimes random parts coming with them, and a lot going missing then already.

For example, along with it followed a 352cui block too which was sold along the way, the dual carburetors for the 374cui matching numbers block are long since missing, and at first it only had the 1x4 intake manifold (now it has a 2x4 as it should, but still no carburetors).

Adding to the headache, everything was taken apart and cleaned up but never had grease reapplied so time hasn't been so kind to it.. Not to mention the bucket of random assorted bolts and nuts.

Then it ended up near Stockholm on the east coast, owned by the guy who Böök was restoring 1001 together with, and now back on the west coast. I guess my best bet is trying to wrangle the parts out of the previous owner on the other side of Sweden, as the parts were there between then and now. Talk about fun as I have less than half an engine in parts, when it had almost doubles for everything just two years ago.

Posted on: 2023/11/18 18:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
There was very little of 1001 that was worth saving towards the restoration, really if it was anything other than 5699-1001 it would have been junked years ago. Probably the only valuable pieces would have been the stainless steel vehicle number plate and the engine block with its number. The trans was already replaced, the one in the car was from a Clipper, and most of the body was well beyond saving except with suprr-human efforts, hence the 400 parts car.

I have many photos of the car, I'll check to see if they can be dated but as I recall, I last saw the car at Artisan about 2019 or so and if my memory is correct, the motor was rebuilt by then. Ole passed away in June 2020.

Perhaps you'd like to send me a PM with your email address so we can exchange more info.

PS - from dates on my photos the engine rebuild was complete as of December, 2017. Also from my photos, though they may not have been salvageable, 1001 as purchased in 2016 was complete with both carburetors and correct batwing air filter.

Posted on: 2023/11/18 18:27
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Packard Filip
See User information
I have seen the condition of 1001's body in person, and I am also forced to deal with it in a way. Instead of getting the trunk lid that came with 1210 I'm left with the trunk lids for 1001 and the 400 donor to combine into one that's good condition somehow.

It's relieving to know that the engine parts that have gone missing aren't on 1001's engine without either me or the current owner of 1001 knowing though.

I will have to hope that the previous owner of all three manages to find whatever he has misplaced, especially since it should've been a part of what my friend paid for.. and what I'll be paying for soon enough.

Posted on: 2023/11/18 19:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

Packard Filip wrote:
I have seen the condition of 1001's body in person, and I am also forced to deal with it in a way. Instead of getting the trunk lid that came with 1210 I'm left with the trunk lids for 1001 and the 400 donor to combine into one that's good condition somehow.

It's relieving to know that the engine parts that have gone missing aren't on 1001's engine without either me or the current owner of 1001 knowing though.

I will have to hope that the previous owner of all three manages to find whatever he has misplaced, especially since it should've been a part of what my friend paid for.. and what I'll be paying for soon enough.

Okay, We have a lot of cooks here attempting to make the same meal, but out of different ingredients. Thus it becomes a soup with no name. I can assist, but I have to clearly see a path.

Check back in this thread. I posted a fairly recent photo earlier in this same thread of 5699-1001 chassis and engine. At that time, the chassis including engine was completely restored with the exceptions I noted in this thread.

I personally knew both Ole Book and Mats, the gentleman who bought the car from Ole. I even provided Ole with parts for 5699-1001, including a windshield. This was while 1001 was still in the USA.

Mats lives in Sweden and was considering selling 5699-1001 several months back when he contacted me.

I do not know who had 5699-1210 (another white/orange/black car) and I don't know about the owner's medical issues and storage issues, etc. All unknown to me.

However, here is what I can tell you about 5699-1210. Without looking up my records, I believe it was delivered new in the state of Ohio of USA.

The last photos I have of this car were taken outside of the USA (I believe in Rotterdam) in 2013 and outdoors. Whoever said it was disassembled is mistaken since it was intact as a whole automobile at least by 2013.

At that time, the engine had been demoted down to an odd 2-barrel carburetor (not 4 barrel). The oil canister and breather cap had been chrome plated in years previous. There was no air cleaner. The chrome valve rocker covers looked decent and there were Packard factory countermeasure spark plug wire looms in place. The engine compartment overall was in poor and rusty and neglected condition, despite the shiny valve covers. But the engine was definitely intact at that time. The car was also listed for sale on eBay at one time.

The convertible top fabric was completely missing. However, the Naples Orange interior actually looked fairly decent.

The exterior of the vehicle had original MTV paint looking worn but serviceable. However the front of the hood and front fenders were beginning to show serious rust. It was equipped with twin exterior rearview mirrors and thin-line whitewall tires.

Aside from what I described here, everything else looked pretty much intact. There was even a spare tire in the trunk. And yes, the decklid looked very solid. So perhaps someone decided to swap it to 1001, from what you are saying here.

I have personal records on ALL Caribbeans. I have saved information on these cars and every one I encountered since I was growing up in Detroit the 1950s. My lists are not the same as club listings.

What is most important if you want me to assist you: I need to see photos of what you have and what is going on with these cars. This is necessary to make sense out of all this.

Good luck.

Posted on: 2023/11/21 0:23
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved