Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
111 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 110

Kiwi Lad, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1941 Clipper Dash/Model
Home away from home
Home away from home

CCR
See User information
I've been wondering about something that in the Packard docs I have isn't clear and figure someone here might know. My Clipper has the rectangular speedo/clock and others of the same year and in '42 seem to have the round versions or dash (my manuals, etc. always only show the round version). I know there were a few models of Clippers so I'm left with either the difference is (1) model based, (2) a late 41 year change or another mystery. To be the best I can tell in varying pics, the only other similarity is the round versions seem to usually include the Fresh Air and Electromatic upgrade/button.

On a similar side note, I would love to see if the registry could get some feature to be able to include more pictures or even links to video tours (hosted elsewhere to save space, better performance). Being able to see/document the engine and interior I find as good reference points and nice to see.

Posted on: 12/7 0:00
 Top  Print   

Re: 1941 Clipper Dash/Model
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The 41 Clipper or 1951 body style was a mid year introduction and was only offered as a sedan. It did have a dash very much like the other 41 models. Complete specs are in the April 41 Vol 15 #7 service letter and the photo below was taken from the 41 Clipper fact book also published in April 41..

In 42 the Clipper body style was offered in several models and engines and dash did go to the narrow row of instruments with round speedo and clock. That format was carried thru the 47 models but while the dash looks the same at a glance, the prewar face color is slightly different and printing on the instruments, speedo and clock is thicker with a more block like print than the postwar items. Side by side the differences are noticeable.

The Electromatic was new for 41 and Packard did promote and offer it as a standalone option so it could have been installed quite often. Dealers could have also ordered it on the new Clipper so the model would be loaded and have the latest and greatest. The fresh air control was also an option thruout but am not really sure how popular it was. Since it feeds air to the back of the heater and some heaters work better than others in accepting airflow thru the back, popularity might have been somewhat dependent on that option.

Attach file:

jpeg  41 Clipper dash.jpeg (212.90 KB)
209_6571582765bd6.jpeg 1194X741 px

Posted on: 12/7 0:31
Howard
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
HH56's encyclopedic knowledge is boundless, as with his comment about the efficacy of fresh air ducting depending on sort of heater. Thanks as always, Howard.

Posted on: 12/7 19:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CCR
See User information
Thanks a lot for all the info and history! Great to be able to capture it for reference and share with others who ask me.

Posted on: 12/7 21:46
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved