Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
222 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 221

Gary Kulp, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Packard race car
Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Just ran into this on a drive through town. The owner lives just a couple miles from me. Only had a few minutes to chat, but apparently this came out of a museum collection (not displayed) and has some history to it. It apparently participated in all the events shown on the car. The current owner has had it in several events as well.

It currently has a modern engine in it with other safety features (roll cage, disc brakes, etc,). Apparently producing somewhere around 900 lbs of torque currently.

Anyone seen this car before? I'll get more info from him. Never expected to see another Packard owner so close, even if it's not original.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 1/6 16:21
 Top  Print   

Re: Packard race car
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I never saw that car before (it’s a 1953 Packard Clipper Deluxe by the trim) but I used to have a former 1951 Packard 300 race car for parts and still have its 327 with solid lifters in my shop. It was fitted with an Ultramatic and had dual exhaust as the pipes were still there although the manifold was long gone. It was also apparently rolled at one time as the roof was from a 1954 which, although it should have been obvious, I didn’t notice until I owned it for some years. It was grafted on very nicely inside and out.

Posted on: 1/6 17:08
 Top  Print   

Re: Packard race car
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
No telling if it's authentic. Maybe a west coast knock off or update? Could have roots down in the continent, too.
Those panamera races caught the eye of the P execs and lead to the "panamera" custom model. I read about all that but don't exactly recall where or most details. Most likely it was in the PAC magazine, Cormorant, as a series, and I just threw out the last of my issues - yesterday - no doubt when you need something. It could be in another book or two I bought about the custom shop they used in Detroit. I've got too many things going right now, to do research for others.
Best to go to PAC and see if you can dig up some info under "panamera".

P racing history is small/handfull compared to other brands but has some limited period sport in most venues. P at that time was in difficulty/throws of demise and not supporting any racing teams/efforts. The L-heads suffered from the lack of HP to wt. That's another reason there's not many "speed" parts for them. cf, the ford flattie.

ps: I searched the Cretins racing and that's MC club, so who knows whats going on? Maybe our West Coast Rep, HH may have insight?

Posted on: 1/7 10:48
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved