Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
252 user(s) are online (159 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 249

Bob1949Packard, todd landis, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 126 127 128 (129) 130 131 132 ... 145 »

Re: BigKev's 1937 115-C Convertible Coupe
Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
An old glass and mirror guy here used to put lanolin base hand cleaner on old hard gaskets. Over a period of days, it would soften old windshield and backlight rubber. I don't know how long the effect would last.

Posted on: 1/20 18:32
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Look Ma, no rockers!

Click to see original Image in a new window

So while I was under the car getting ready to right the remains on the running board frame rivets so I can mount the new ones, I discovered the rear of both rockers was gone and pretty much just floating in space.

So I stopped worrying about removing those old rivets and decided to swap the rockers that came out of a donor car. I think these were from a 36 as they have these two rectangular block off plates that my 37 ones didn't. I'm not too worried about those as I can always weld them up if they bother me later.

Getting the rockers out is not fun. Especially because of the B pillar area. But I got it removed. Had to pull the seat frame out so I could pull all the bolts up and out.

Once all the bolts were loose I was able to break the spot welds at the front and back. The by knocking the rocker backwards until the front over lap was free on the cowl, I could then knock it forward until it pulled right out. Now to reverse everything.

Here it is mocked up, but not aligned or fastened in anyway.

Posted on: 1/20 19:53
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Also... while the rocker was off, it made it infinitely easier to gring down and punch out those rivets on the frame rails

Posted on: 1/20 19:58
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
If you zoom in the first picture, you can see the 1-1/4" wood floor. The wood sits on the frame and the body sits on the wood. So yes, this car really does have floor boards.

There are rubber spacers at the bolt points.

The rockers actually bolt in from the bottom of the wood, and are spot welded to the body at only the cowl and where it meets the wheel arch.

So the rockers are much easier to deal with then a later models where they are spot welded in along most of their length.

Posted on: 1/21 10:24
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Got the rocker fully installed.

Moved on to installing the running board supports. The rear one installed just fine. But the front one didn't match up with the relief in rocker. These rockers came from a 36 120, and the placement of the front support must be different. So I had to notch the rocker to match where the support comes through.

With that the running board went back on. I still need to make another adjustment to the rocker at the very rear as it appears to be about 3/4" longer than the 37 rocker. But I'll wait until I get the front sheet metal all aligned in case anything needs to shift. But it should be pretty easy to make a small relief cut and fold in the excess and the weld it back together.

Now to repeat with the other side.

Posted on: 1/21 18:17
-BigKev

Top  Print   
Like (1)

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
After laying on cold concrete for several hours in a 45F garage, I'm feeling it today. So, there will be no work on the other rocker and running board today. My hands feel like I smacked them with a hammer, and my back and I are not on speaking terms.

Here are a couple of things to add to yesterday:

- I pulled the V-shaped dent out of the bottom of the door where it had been striking the custom fenders for several years. I am sure the other side will need the same attention.

- On both sides, I will need to fabricate and replace the bottom 4-6 inches of the body in the area between the B-Pillar and the rear wheel arch. I've been told that is a common rust area on these convertibles, and mine is pretty rotten in those areas. Those areas are not much different than the rear fender patches I had to make on the '54, so I am not too worried about making those. Remaking the bottom flange structure will probably be the most challenging as those are rotted away.

Posted on: 1/22 10:03
-BigKev

Top  Print   
Hug (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Looks great. Lots of work but making good progress. I'm glad you went back to the running boards. I think the car looks much better with them.

Posted on: 1/22 18:31
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I agree, it looks more Packard now.

Posted on: 1/22 19:03
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Rocker #2 has left the building.

Posted on: 1/24 19:58
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ElGroucho
See User information
Just started following your build a week ago. Started from page 1. Now I'm all caught up. I commend you on your dedication and hustle to get this to where it is now! It's looking good and the way you're progressing, you'll have it completed in no time! Great job!

Posted on: 1/25 19:43
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 126 127 128 (129) 130 131 132 ... 145 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved