Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
216 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 211

Frogmagic, TxGoat, humanpotatohybrid, kevinpackard, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Head Gasket Questions
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'd use a differential hoist, cherry picker or block and tackle to lift the head off rather than try to man handle it. I used a small block and tackle on the Packard V8 heads. 70 pounds each. Smaller engines can just be man handled.

Posted on: 2009/4/20 20:49
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
I used two large c-clamps to get the head of a 30 standard eight.

Attach file:

jpg  (46.66 KB)
333_49ede93dc13df.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/4/21 10:41
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That's a neat idea.

Posted on: 2009/4/21 10:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
That would scratch my shiny green engine paint

Posted on: 2009/4/22 2:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
How about some appropriately sized metric cap screws inserted into the spark plug holes with a strap that has been drilled with a hole at each end? This would act like a handle for removing and replacing the cylinder head.

Posted on: 2009/4/22 10:16
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
a strap that has been drilled with a hole at each end?

A friend mechanic made something similar. A couple of spark plugs, top broken off and base drilled thru. Brazed or welded a hardware store eye bolt to the plug base. It worked but always wondered about the stress on plug hole threads if were pulled at an angle or with aluminum heads. I think your idea of adding a fixed strap as a handle would be a help but wonder about the off center pickup toward one edge. I actually like the C clamps if there were non slip padding or something to protect some of the big $ paint jobs--although I think undoing the head bolts would be enough to ruin that.

Posted on: 2009/4/22 10:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
I'm glad folks think the c-clamp thing is useful!

I didn't use any pads because I was repainting the head. But I would think small chunks of rubber drawer liner (which is very grippy - if that is a word) would work well to prevent damage to the paint on the sides. I liked the c-clamps better than a spark-plug hole gadget (which I also made) because I could lift straight up. No stress on the plug threads and no need to have someone else there to put their fingers under the head to keep it level.

Tom

Posted on: 2009/4/22 11:27
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
The 55-56 Packard shop manual tells you to use tool ????. Lacking that I made my own. Used old spark plugs which have a 3/4 inch thread. I don't know if I would trust the meager threads on a straight 8 head. I could not buy the metric bolts to fit the spark plug thread, so I busted up a couple of old spark plugs and threaded the insides to accept a standard bolt. They may not make metric bolts to fit spark plug threads deliberately. The handles worked well, but the heads are still a chore to lift and position.

Attach file:

jpg  (130.12 KB)
23_49ef5c3bb976d.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (112.88 KB)
23_49ef5c549ae64.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2009/4/22 13:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Good point on the fragile 10mm spark plug threads. One way around this would be to use multiple screws (2,4, 6 or even 8). Simple enough. I guess there are different metric threads for spark plugs and other fasteners. HH56's idea about using old spark plugs is probably the best way to get the correct screw thread. I have lots of ideas, some of them are even good ones.

Posted on: 2009/4/22 13:58
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Steve Mackinnon
See User information
Thanks for all the tips, guys. Off to the store tomorrow for a set of clamps - complete with "grippy" rubber/plastic tips and 600lbs holding capacity. Surprisingly simple to remove everything I needed to to get ready for this job. Now to paint the head and make the rest of the 10 year old restoration look that much older...

Posted on: 2009/4/23 21:06
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved