Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
204 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 200

Ozstatman, Tom (Packin31), kevinpackard, Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: No Compression
Home away from home
Home away from home

tsherry
See User information
Stuck valves, all day long.

I had stuck valves in my '37 237 and my '40 110. I soaked them both in Marvel Mystery Oil, Diesel, and a few other concoctions.

Pretty much zero effect.

I pulled the heads, intake/exhaust manifolds and opened up the lifter galleries; in both cases the No 3 and 4 valves were stuck open. On the '37, the tappets of the day had a dome-topped screw-type adjustment. Some moron ground them flat, and then with wear over the years, the screw face grew a divot from the valve touching it. Repaired that. Massive amount of crud on all the valve stems; it was not easy getting the "packard" script valves out of the heads but eventually I succeeded. Cleaned them up with a fiber wheel on a buffer, put them back in the engine and with the repaired tappets, the engine runs like a sewing machine.

Similiar effort on the '40 (with a '46 engine in it) but haven't fired that up yet.

Run non ethanol gasoline, and run the engine long enough to get to temperature, and run it monthly.

Thank me later.

Posted on: 3/2 21:13
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Thank you all so far. One thing I did notice inside of the distributor the rotor cracked at the base and was able to rotate a bit on the shaft. Might it be possible if there was any misfiring cause damage to the valves?

Posted on: 3/2 21:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tsherry
See User information
I seriously doubt it.

Posted on: 3/2 22:12
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Quote:

todd landis wrote:
Thank you all so far. One thing I did notice inside of the distributor the rotor cracked at the base and was able to rotate a bit on the shaft. Might it be possible if there was any misfiring cause damage to the valves?

There could have been misfiring, but to my knowledge that shouldn't damage the valves at all. You just have junk on the valve stems.

Posted on: 3/3 1:57
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Thanks all, will start with taking the side covers off, I am sure they will be clean in the galley side, as I change the oil approximately every 4 to 500 miles. So will start there and can pull the head next. Before I pull the head will start with the diesel oil soak, it won't hurt and may make freeing up valves a bit easier? I have all the tools and spring compressors needed to do a valve job if needed. But, I did a valve job around ten years and a couple thousand miles ago, so not anticipating needing complete job again?
Another question, in the past always got a carburetor rebuild kit and did my own carburetors. May do again, or send out? When I do mine I leave the float the same. Change the needle and seat but careful not to bent the floats. If I should need to set the float level for the Stromberg AAV 26 how do you do that? I have an extra light 6 volt electric pump with hoses and adapters to connect to most carburetors so I should be able to pump gas into the carb and see where it stops, but then on the Stromberg as I remember when you take the top off of the carburetor the floats come off also?
Who is selling the best carburetor kit right now?
Thanks mucho!!

Posted on: 3/3 10:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Not all needle valves are created equally in height so you should always reset the float.

On the valves, it wouldn’t hurt to lap them when apart anyway which will not only help them seat better but will also be a good indication that they did not get bent in the process. Of course, you want them to go back into the same places where you got them!

Posted on: 3/3 15:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Thank you. Do you know how to set the float in the AAV26?

Posted on: 3/3 19:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
After watching some Stromberg youtube videos, I think I now remember, so many 32nds from the base of bottom of the lid of the carburetor? Thanks

Posted on: 3/3 20:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Quote:
Thank you. Do you know how to set the float in the AAV26?

Any decent rebuilt kit should come with instructions on how to set the float and will probably even include the gauges for doing so.

Posted on: 3/4 1:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
If I should decide to send out the carburetor and not do myself, who are the recommended companies now a days? In past years have dealt with a company in the midwest, but cannot recall their name. If there is an experienced rebuilder n the southwest that would be best?

Thanks again.

Posted on: 3/4 22:20
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved