Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
211 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 208

humanpotatohybrid, JohnCB, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: No Compression
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Many good carburetor rebuilders around, Daytona Parts in New Smyrna Beach, Florida among the very best.

Posted on: 3/5 11:54
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Although I always rebuild the Packard carburetors myself, I use Ace Automotive & Fuel Systems in Santa Clara, CA for my later model cars' carbs. They do an excellent job and have testing machines to check and set the fuel flow. Soon I may have them do a Packard carburetor too just to save myself some time.

Posted on: 3/5 12:11
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

DM37
See User information
Todd,

I concur with all of the prior first responders on stuck valves conclusion.

Packard acknowledged in the 1930's that running for short periods of time or during storage periods, that moisture (corrosion on valve stems/guides) plus rapid carbon buildup on the same surfaces would cause stuck open valves. Sounds like your chariot had this as a pre-existing condition. This was a common occurrence, to the degree that they issued multiple guidance letters to dealers/mechanics at the time.

Best lowest risk approach is:
1) try the soaking guidance recommended by the other Packardites
2) open the valve cover (recommended by one Packardite) to determine "who isnt moving"
3) If "magic" doesnt happen from the soaking/prayer services, I think the lowest cost/risk approach is to pull the head/valves; fully clean/dress up the guides/stems and seats (not too difficult on a straight 6 or 8)
4) reassemble and drive
5) follow the recommended Packard pre-storage prep/guidance. Trove of valuable service data on this topic in:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/404530136408?fits=Make:Packard&itmmeta=01HR7SZ3PYZY4KBPZC0T0B4RRW&hash=item5e2fe00558:g:zQYAAOSwiKBlHEo
Dan M.

Posted on: 3/5 12:28
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Think I will get the Daytona kit, have used in past times.
Agreed, think will just go ahead and pull the head. Last time pulled the head around ten years ago, cleaned the valves and re seated them. With the first four cylinders stuck soaking will only be, as mentioned, a prayer. Will end up pulling the head anyway.
Just talked with a couple full time garage people and they can assist here and there after their work hours as needed.
What I have not done in the past is to check valve stem clearance. I have the measuring tool, but have not used it. In the coming weeks may need some guidance on making sure proper setting after lapping in the valves, or one or two new valves? Have not used my blueing paint in maybe twenty years.

Posted on: 3/5 17:05
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

DM37
See User information
I'll refer you to my brother (45 years doing Packard engine/undercarriage/restoration mechanic) as he has forgotten more Packard straight 6 & 8 valve jobs and adjustments than I'll ever learn. Private message me with your time zone/locale and an email or cell phone and he can get hold of you directly. He is going through my 37 twelve valve rehab odyssey currently.

Dan M.

Posted on: 3/5 17:51
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Got the head off my 1940 Super. Been over ten years since I have had it off before. The reason I have pulled the head is no compression on a few cylinders. Stuck valves open. Let it sit several months with modern gasoline. I believe the cause for stuck valves is me letting the over flow pipe from the intake manifold clog up, and gasoline pooling in the intake ports and valve stems. It hardened to a very hard glossy substance, see the two photos. Never happened to me before, is this the way of modern gasoline? Thanks

Attach file:

jpg  packard 2.jpg (138.19 KB)
733_660f2ea0cde8f.jpg 810X1080 px

jpg  packard 4.jpg (175.58 KB)
733_660f2eadc8d7a.jpg 810X1080 px

Posted on: 4/4 17:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Second question on this matter, I remember some carbon build up around the cylinders, this time quite a bit, normal? Any way to cut down on carbon build up?
Thanks

Attach file:

jpg  packard 3.jpg (167.68 KB)
733_660f2f382896c.jpg 810X1080 px

jpg  packard 4.jpg (175.58 KB)
733_660f2f4ce4734.jpg 810X1080 px

Posted on: 4/4 17:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Another question for now, do the metal sides of the intake and exhaust manifold gaskets go toward the block or the manifolds?

Attach file:

jpg  packard 1.jpg (193.54 KB)
733_660f2fc429cf8.jpg 810X1080 px

Posted on: 4/4 17:55
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Is it possible your running too rich? Also, do you let it run without letting it warm up completely?

Posted on: 4/4 17:56
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Gasoline would not stick the valves like that unless it was old and run that way, then cooled down. As for the manifold gasket, I always put the metal side toward the hotter manifold but looking at your gasket it appears that your manifolds are past due to being milled as a unit as it has obviously been leaking.

Posted on: 4/4 20:58
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved