Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
114 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 112

William Grosz, chevyboy, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Steering Column on 1937
Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
I have a friend with a '37 Twelve Touring Limo that has been accepted to Pebble Beach this year. He is going through the car now getting it ready for Pebble. The cars steering column was chrome plated before he bought the car. I've looked but can't find that a chrome plated steering column was an option in '37.

Does anyone know if that is true or false?

Posted on: 4/7 3:46
 Top  Print   

Re: Steering Column on 1937
Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
A few examples showing chrome plated steering column's. Not sure if it is original or not.

Attach file:

jpg  37 Packard 1507.jpg (425.34 KB)
1584_66128af4a0b48.jpg 1600X1066 px

jpg  37 Packard 1507_2.jpg (136.34 KB)
1584_66128b00657ca.jpg 1024X683 px

Posted on: 4/7 7:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
On the 120 Deluxe, in the factory literature "Steering pillar tube nickle plated at upper end".

Attach file:

pdf 1937-Packard-120-Deluxe.pdf Size: 3,679.70 KB; Hits: 9

Posted on: 4/7 7:36
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The 1937 120/138 CD models came with a chrome plated steering columns as part of the CD package. So I would imagine that was at least offered if not standard on the twelves.

Posted on: 4/7 7:36
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

DM37
See User information
I'm restoring my 37 1507 1036 which has an original interior/steering column. It was in storage for 55 years and there was no prior interior work done on it before then.

I researched the steering column for the same reasons. I am re-chroming mine for durability reasons to keep it original...generally, I personally dont like lots of reflective hardware in the drivers compartment, but it was about the same cost/effort to strip the chrome and repaint as just replating, so I stuck with "original".

My best research indicates that chrome on twelves was standard, except on chauffeured cockpits, where the driver (employee) didn't warrant chrome in their utilitarian driver's space, so the default was drivers space/dash/undertrim was painted on the cockpit trim. Generally, in that era the owner/boss had higher status and warranted special trim in THEIR rear space and kept things in the employee/chauffeurs space "plain" to reinforce the status quo of the era.

However, as with all senior Packards of the era, you could always request painted cockpit trimmings on any vehicle to match the solid interior accent color (typically satin-off gloss dark tan, brown, or maroon) to match the radio receiver box and heater shroud. Conversely, there were a few customers who requested chrome chauffeur quarters.

So, I discern that your friend's chromed column is correct.

I recommend that you message Bob Supina as he has the evidence and history for 37 senior cars of options, trim, default coatings, etc. His particulars are found at:https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/profile/userinfo.php?uid=441

Posted on: 4/7 16:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
I want to thank everyone for your assistance.

Posted on: 4/8 9:53
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved