Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
215 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 215

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 443 high oil pressure - cause for concern?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Spencer B.
See User information
No problem, 1929Packardguy. I think I’ve come to the same conclusion. Seeing the needle nearly pegged - especially while the engine was still warming up - caused an inexperienced owner like me to feel no small anxiety. I’ve always been conditioned to think that the gauges should stick nice and close to the middle of their range.. But enough people have told me along the lines of what you’re saying with regards to this that I’ve gotten comfortable with the issue. I appreciate you chiming in on the question.

Posted on: 4/9 15:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Sounds like you're A-OK, the others concur. Gorgeous barouche, yours, and nice to see the wheels painted body color, not chromed like so many heathens do. On a clean-limned automobile, chrome should be at most like the touch of seasoning a learned chef might use.

The only thing i might tender is next oil change switch to full synthetic. Belay the concerns decades ago about about synthetic oil getting past rear main seal, et al. That was caused early on by esters, which are no longer in any synthetic motor oil. That, and many down homers like to blame anything new and better for their existing problems.

I long used Kendall GT1 10W/30 semi-synthetic but after copious reading, deduce the sole drawback of full synthetic is its price. However, that was alleviated by the wonderful JoAnne Teel at Kendall Motor Oils, below. Full synthetic for the price of conventional oil. Free shipping at that!

454 South Main Street
Wilkes-Barre, PA 18701
(855) 899-7467
jmessina@petroleumservicecompany.com

Full synthetic may be overkill, but that sums most of Packard's engineering at least into the '40s. Please tell JoAnne that Mike Scott, '47 Packard Super Clipper, Walnut Creek, CA referred you. Good folks, and tho' all major brands motor oil on par according to Consumer Reports' and other rigorous testing, Kendall's as good or a wee smidgen better than any of them.

Posted on: 4/9 17:20
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

29- 640 Club Sedan
See User information
Yes there is an oil screen covering the pump held in by friction and the access plate. You should be able to remove the screen through the access plate, clean, and adjust the pump if necessary.

Posted on: 4/9 18:55
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Spencer B.
See User information
Thanks for the kind words su8overdrive. I love the look of my runabout. What I’ve been told is that when it was being restored in the 80s these are the colors they found under a repaint, or in other words it was restored to its original paint scheme. It actually has a lot of bright work for a 443. I like the look of the stone guard and the woodlites. The chromed sidemount covers are a bit much for my taste, I may at some point replace them with something a little less flashy. Someday, but not today. Thanks for the recommendation on the motor oil source!

29-640, thanks for the explanation. For now I think I’m comfortable with where I am oil pressure wise, but I appreciate the advice if the time comes when I do need to make the adjustment.

Posted on: 4/11 20:56
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved