Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
230 user(s) are online (146 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 230

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

How available are 356 engines?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

ecvpaul
See User information
My '47 Super Clipper is running well, but at some point in its life someone replaced the 356 with a 288. I'd like to have the original displacement motor, but I'm wondering how available they are. Also, are the block and head dimensions of a 288 smaller than a 356, or are the two blocks similar in size with only a different bore and stroke?
Thanks!
Paul

Posted on: 2009/4/25 22:32
1947 Clipper Deluxe (parts), 1947 Super Clipper Eight Touring Sedan. ECV, XPBC, XNGH, XCP, HA #VII
 Top  Print   

Re: How available are 356 engines?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
If your engine is running well it may not be worth the time, money and effort to find and then possibly rebuild a 356 engine (not cheap!)since all Packard engines of the period are excellent and made good power.
My 1947 Super Clipper has the original 356" engine. In my opinion the 356 engine is worth having if you can find one at a good price that has been rebuilt or an excellent original as they are powerful and smooth running and one of the finest engines Packard made. Although the 288/327 engine is very similar in dimensions to the 356 they are distinctly separate castings. It has been my experience, however, that some parts are common to both engines. The bores of the engines are all 3.5" but the stroke lengths are different (3 3/4 vs 4 1/4"). The 356 has 9 main bearings and the 288 has 5. Fewer 356 engines were made than the 288/327 variety so are less common but there have been a 2 or 3 offered for sale on Ebay since I have been watching so they do exist.
I have a 1947 Custom Super parts car but I suspect it has a 288/327 engine replacement engine so I can't offer you the one in the car until I verify which engine it is although I doubt you would want to pay shipping. I hope this helps. I do not profess to be an expert on Packard engines and only write from what I read in factory manuals and from personal experience so other more knowledgeable members may have other ("better"?) information to add.

Posted on: 2009/4/26 8:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin
See User information
There are probably plenty of collectors out there that have parted out other Senior Clippers and saved the motors as spares, but those are probably sitting in the back of garages and aren't being actively advertised. Your best bet is to advertise that you're looking for a 356 in places like PackardInfo.com and any other Packard groups like PAC or PI.

I don't want to give you bum information, but my understanding is that the 356 was a unique 9-main bearing block and the casting was not shared with any other Packard motor. Do any 1940-1950 Senior owners have better info to share?

Posted on: 2009/4/26 8:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Generally engines are not hard to find, at least compared to some other parts.

Since you only need one....

Keep your eyes and ears open and you should find a suitable engine. Advertise on this site and on Kijiji and Craigslist (free) if you are ambitious.

Have a pickup truck or trailer handy to go and get it. When one becomes available it's best to go get it as soon as possible. Be ready to spend a weekend driving. And be ready to spend some $$$$ on a rebuild or at least overhaul.

Since you have a good engine you can be patient until an engine comes along, and have it rebuilt as the budget permits.

You may be able to sell your 288 when the time comes. That plus the increase in value to your car, will partly cover the money you spend.

Posted on: 2009/4/26 17:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
The 356, and 327 9-main bearing, engines have hydraulic valve lifters. These lifters are no longer made and are almost unobtainable. This is a critical decision point in buying a used 356 engine. But, if you can find a good one, they are great motors, as smooth as a turbine. Overall, they are the same length as their 288 and 327 siblings. Good luck.

Posted on: 2009/4/27 10:26
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Not inexpensive, but I'm certain that newly manufactured lifters are available for the 356 engines, and have been for a while.

Posted on: 2009/4/27 10:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Dave, I have seen new inside parts of the lifters offered for sale, but no complete lifter assemblies. It was on this that I made my cautioning statement.

Posted on: 2009/4/27 14:11
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/1141383058.html

This can be a beautiful car if restored I just don't have the time. Have the engine out, but disassembled, 90% complete. Call if interested. 661-264-2780

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/ctd/1141042423.html

1947 Packard's, Parts Cars, If Interested Please Call: 661-944-9300, also come visit us at our website www.badassridez.com

These cars are located in the Los Angeles area.

Posted on: 2009/4/27 14:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Dave, I have seen new inside parts of the lifters offered for sale, but no complete lifter assemblies. It was on this that I made my cautioning statement.

Yes, correct, I was referring to the internal hydraulic part with the check valve. When I did my last 356 engine some years back, I sent the tappet bodies out somewhere to have them hardened and radius-ground, or was it radius-ground and then rehardened?

Posted on: 2009/4/27 14:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Dave, thanks for the clarification. I was hopeful that complete new lifters were available. This would have been a huge benefit to current and future owners of Packards with these engines. However, new internals and refurbished bodies will keep the engines alive for many more years. Although, as you say not inexpensive.

Posted on: 2009/4/27 16:51
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved